#1 5-12-2010 7:25 AM

BeachBum429
Lubbock, Texas
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 214

What happens if you overstay your Thai tourist visa?

Hey all,

I am going to Thailand to take my CELTA.  I am flying from Uzbekistan though I am American.  It has taken over 2 weeks to find a flight that was a decent price and will be flying the days I need.

Right now I can't fix this problem so i think it might be easiest just to stay over.  I can't get a 60 tourist visa to Thailand b/c there is no thai embassy here (I have contacted Thailand Foreign Affairs and there is no way around this to get a 60day).  So my flight will keep me in Thailand for 31 days not 30 like the tourist visa I will be given on landing.

My question is:  WHAT WILL HAPPEN?  If I overstay for one day.  Will I be banned from visiting Thailand again?  Will I get a fine and how much?

If anyone has done this or knows someone that has please respond.  I am trying not to have to take a visa run in Cambodia in the middle of my course for just one stupid day.

Thanks so much for your responds!

#2 5-12-2010 9:40 AM

markdd
Mark
Makati City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 771

Re: What happens if you overstay your Thai tourist visa?

you will be fined 500 baht and could receive a stamp of overstay in your passport worst case, and that's a very bad stamp. but since it will only be 1 day and you are coming forward in the airport on your own and not being caught by the police they will most like not give you the fine which is usually 500 baht per day. it depends on the discretion of the immigration officer though. technically you are breaking the law so i would avoid it by making that visa run.

#3 5-12-2010 2:39 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Wellington, New Zealand
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 1736

Re: What happens if you overstay your Thai tourist visa?

I overstayed by one day! haha. One of two things will happen if you have over stayed by less than three days. I got lucky and didn't have to pay...come to think of it I was also overweight by 4 KGs on my check in bag and they let me off on that too!..All those dam suits I got talor made their.

They will either get the supervisor to stamp you out and you get on the plane...or you will pay the supervisor a stack of money that will go in their pocket and they will stamp you out and you will get on the plane.

Generally the cash "fee" is 500 baht a day but make sure you have a thousand baht when you go into immigration and you will be fine.

#4 5-13-2010 1:03 AM

alaskan_nomad
Rico
Anchorage, Alaska
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 180

Re: What happens if you overstay your Thai tourist visa?

Generally if you are over only one day there is no fine, 2 or more and the fine takes effect but will not exceed 20,000 baht if you decide to stay for the rest of the year smile

#5 5-14-2010 4:45 AM

BeachBum429
Lubbock, Texas
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 214

Haha thanks guys.
I talked to a friend that lives in Phuket and she said the same as Rico.  smile

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer