#1 11-21-2009 12:42 AM

gameson
Rus
San Diego, California
Sightseer

South East Asia countries worth visiting....

Just wondering if you can suggest any SE Asia countries worth visiting.  My plan until May 2010 is to visit Thailand and Cambodia, but a friend of mine told me to go to Burma/Myanmar as well.

I have to say that I LOVE temples and historical sites with natures as well (beach, water falls, rock climbing, etc). That's why Thailand and Cambodia is in the plan because of temples and beaches in Thailand and Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

How about Vietnam, Laos? Any temples worth visiting in Vietnam? I am not planning to go to India, going to plan it with another trip (India, Nepal, Pakistan, Tibet, etc).  Malaysia, Brunei is out of my travel plan cause there is nothing to see, lol. Been to Indo and Singapore.

Last edited by gameson (11-21-2009 12:46 AM)

#2 11-21-2009 2:35 AM

trekkearl
Earl
Quezon City, Philippines
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Re: South East Asia countries worth visiting....

If you like temples, just like me, then you will definitely enjoy Thailand and Cambodia:)

You need not go far in Thailand to get your temple fix as Bangkok as the Grand Palace complex with Wat Pho and just across it Wat Arun (my favorite).  Just a 2-hour bus ride is Ayuthayya with its magnificent ruins. 

As for Cambodia, particularly, Siem Reap, Angkor Wat is just one temple.  There are other temples around which is enough reason to spend at least 3 days in SR.  Of course, the granddaddy of all jungle temples has got to be wild wild Preah Vear.  However, getting there is almost like going on a modern-day pilgrimage with your backside cursing you all the way.  But definitely worth it.

Your friend is right about dropping by Myanmar.  Bagan probably houses the most number of temples squeezed in one area.  It is one entire temple adrenalin rush.  The great thing is you would hardly find a lot of people there.

Vietnam, particularly, the northen part is more of a trekking/nature dream destination rather than temple hopping.  If you find yourself in HCMC, then a trip to Cao Dai Temple is a must.  Do make your way to the Mekong Delta for a lovely lovely rural experience.

#3 11-21-2009 2:36 AM

ralph987
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Definitely you should visit Singapore again.  Very safe and lots of things to do there.

#4 11-21-2009 2:38 AM

an4rkiss
LAzIrA
Sabah, Malaysia
Couch Potato

r u sure theres nothing to see in malaysia ?? lol u must be 1 funny guy big_smile i noticed ur interest in diving.. heres a hint.. im not doing advertising but one of the island in borneo (malaysia) is a nominated for new 7 wonders of nature.. isnt that something to see in malaysia? how bout the biggest flower in the world ? or highest mount in SE Asia ? happy travelling ^^

Last edited by an4rkiss (11-21-2009 2:38 AM)

#5 11-21-2009 10:28 AM

jeffisontravel
Jeff
Couch Potato

gameson wrote:

Just wondering if you can suggest any SE Asia countries worth visiting.  My plan until May 2010 is to visit Thailand and Cambodia, but a friend of mine told me to go to Burma/Myanmar as well.

I have to say that I LOVE temples and historical sites with natures as well (beach, water falls, rock climbing, etc). That's why Thailand and Cambodia is in the plan because of temples and beaches in Thailand and Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

How about Vietnam, Laos? Any temples worth visiting in Vietnam? I am not planning to go to India, going to plan it with another trip (India, Nepal, Pakistan, Tibet, etc).  Malaysia, Brunei is out of my travel plan cause there is nothing to see, lol. Been to Indo and Singapore.

In VIetnam at the moment, and just came from Cambodia and before that Thailand.  I would suggest you cut Vietnam out of your agenda.  I can't comment on the Burma issues since I've never been there.  If you've never been to Siem Reap, you could spend a week there visiting amazing temples and things out of the way with a little tour guide that will blow your mind.  I got burned out quickly as there as so many to look at.  If money is not an option, I would suggest booking a room and package at the sajourn hotel (actually a cottage) right outside of siem reap (about $150/night with driver and such included).  Our driver and tour guide were absolutely amazing.  Too much to post on here, but if you want more details you can get back with me.  Angkor Wat was pretty cool, but they fixed it!  What is the fun in that.  I loved viewing the ones that haven't been repaired yet after 800 years.

#6 11-21-2009 2:41 PM

JaitcH
Jay
Buon Ma Thuot, Vietnam
Award: Critic IAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

trekkearl wrote:

... Vietnam, particularly, the northen part is more of a trekking/nature dream destination rather than temple hopping.  If you find yourself in HCMC, then a trip to Cao Dai Temple is a must.  Do make your way to the Mekong Delta for a lovely lovely rural experience.

Surprise, surprise ... no temple hopping? This will be news to a lot of believers, and others.

There are temples all over the place starting, particularly from Ha Noi heading south. If you are a real explorer you will also find a temples as small as large dog houses in Ha Noi.

A few of the more interesting ones include:

Phu Tho Province
Kings Hung Temple
Location: Located on Nghia Linh Mountain, 175 meters by sea level, Viet Tri City, Phu Tho Province.

Characteristic: Kings Hung Temple is a complex of majestic architectures that consist of Ha Temple and Thien Quang Pagoda, Gieng Temple, Trung and Thuong temples, and King Hung Tomb.   

Quang Ninh Province
An Sinh Temple and Tran Tombs
Location: The temple and tombs of the Tran Dynasty are situated in the An Sinh Commune, Dong Trieu District, Quang Ninh Province.
Characteristics: They are scattered on an area of 20km in radius, dedicated to the eight emperors of the Tran Dynasty.   

Thanh Hoa Province
Ho Citadel
Location: Ho Citadel is situated in Vinh Tien and Vinh Long communes, Vinh Loc District, Thanh Hoa Province, approximately 150 km from Hanoi.
Characteristics: Ho Citadel is also called Tay Do Wall - a rectangle is surrounded by a deep dike.

Ha Noi
Pavilion of the constellation of Literature
Location: Pavilion of the Constellation of Literature is in Temple Literature on Van Mieu Street, Dong Da District, Hanoi.
Characteristic: Khue Van Cac, or Pavilion of the Constellation of Literature, was built under the Nguyen Dynasty (1802-1945).

Quan Thanh Temple
Location: Quan Thanh Temple is situated in Quan Thanh Ward, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi.
Characteristic: Quan Thanh Temple is one of the Four Guards of Old Thang Long. Quan Thanh Temple is an important historical and cultural relic, on a large and beautiful area by West Lake near the northern gate of old Thang Long Capital.   

Temple of Literature (Van Mieu)
Location: Temple of Literature is located on Van Mieu Street, 2km west of Hoan Kiem Lake.
Characteristic: Van Mieu - Quoc Tu Giam is a famous historical and cultural relic consisting of the Temple of Literature and Vietnam's first university. The Temple of Literature was built in 1070 in honour of Confucius, his followers and Chu Van An, a moral figure in Vietnamese education.   

Dak Lak Province
Yang Prong Cham Tower
Location: Yang Prong Cham Tower is in Ea Roc Commune, Ea Sup District, about 100km from Buon Ma Thuot City.
Characteristics: The tower is 9m high, its square base measures 5m each side. Each face of the tower has three masqueraded doors. There is only one door opened to the east. The roof is made of brick heaped upwards the top. 

Quang Tri Province
Quang Tri Citadel

Location: Quang Tri Citadel is situated in the central of Quang Tri Town.
Characteristics: Quang Tri Citadel was a military bastion and it was also an administrative head office of Nguyen Dynasty in Quang Tri Province (1809 -1945).

Thua Thien - Hue Province
Dynastic Temple (The Mieu)

Location: Dynastic Temple (The Mieu) is situated southwest of the Hue Citadel and facing south.
Characteristics: It's dedicated to ten Emperors of the Nguyen Dynasty, built by Emperor Minh Mang in 1821, it presents a 9 - compartment main building and a 11 - compartment front building, together connected in the "double" architecture with two bays on east and west sides.

Hue Temple of Literature
Location: Formerly, various Temple of Literature were built by the Nguyen Lords in the capital and moved to three different places: Trieu Son Village, Luong Quang Village and Long Ho Village.
Characteristic: The Temple of Literature is a worship temple founded by the Nguyen Dynasty to dedicate to celebrated scholars of Confucianism.   

Quang Ngai Province
Son My Site

Location: Son My Site is situated in Tu Cung Hamlet, Tinh Khe Commune, Son Tinh District, Quang Ngai Province.
Characteristics: The site was built in memory of the civilians who were killed during the American War. It is located on the land where the American troops cruelly massacred the local people on the morning of 16 March 1968.   

Khanh Hoa Province
Am Chua Temple

Location: Am Chua Temple is situated on Dai An Mount in Dien Dien Commune, Dien Khanh District, Khanh Hoa Province.
Characteristic: Am Chua Temple was built long ago to dedicate to Lady Goddess Po Nagar.   

Po Nagar Cham Towers

Location: Po Nagar Cham is situated on Cu Lao marble hill, 2km north of Nha Trang, in Khanh Hoa Province.
Characteristic: Po Nagar Cham Towers were built between the 8th and 13th centuries. The largest of the four remaining towers was built in honour of the Goddess Po Nagar, also known as Lady Thien Y Ana or Lady Mother of the Kingdom.   

Tay Ninh Province
Cao Dai Great Temple

Location: Cao Dai Great Temple is located in Hoa Thanh District, 5km southeast of Tay Ninh Town.
Characteristics: Cao Dai Great Temple is the cathedral of the Cao Dai religion and is the main attraction in Tay Ninh.   

Dong Thap Province
Go Thap

Location: In Communes of My Hoa and Tan Kieu, Thap Muoi District, Dong Thap Province, 43km from Cao Lanh City.
Characteristics: Go Thap Archaeological Area is well known for 5 main relics: Thap Muoi Hill, Co Tu Tower, Binh Kieu Grave, Minh Su Temple, and Ba Chua Xu Temple. Relics in this area bear great cultural and historical value.

Ninh Thuan Province
Po Klong Garai Towers
Location: The Po Klong Garai Towers is located on Trau Hill, approximately 9km northwest of Phan Rang – Thap Cham City near Thap Cham Railway Station in Ninh Thuan Province.
Characteristics: The towers consist of four towers, which remain from a group of six towers constructed in the late 13th century and early 14th century.

Ho Chi Minh City
Giac Lam Pagoda
Location: Giac Lam Pagoda is located at 118 Lac Long Quan Street, Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City.
Characteristic: It is one of the city’s oldest pagodas with many Buddha statues made of brass and precious timber.   

There are hundreds of others in SaiGon and yet hundreds more between Ha Noi and SaiGon

#7 11-21-2009 2:44 PM

JaitcH
Jay
Buon Ma Thuot, Vietnam
Award: Critic IAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

ralph987 wrote:

Definitely you should visit Singapore again.  Very safe and lots of things to do there.

There is even a temple where heroin paste (allegedly) is to be found on a statue in the (closed) grounds - south of Peoples Park.

#8 11-22-2009 9:45 AM

nidge76
Neil
Dunstable, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster II
Tourist

The temples of Bagan in Myanmar are excellent.  I spent a 3 or 4 days cycling around some of the different temples.  It was a very relaxing experience and the people were wonderful. 

Also Thailand has so many temples many of which are stunning. 

Malaysia has some excellent islands for beaches, snorkelling & diving.  The Perhentian Islands are great fun and Tioman Island is also worth a mention.

#9 11-22-2009 4:59 PM

CharReid
Char
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

If I were you I'd do Laos instead of Vietnam.  Similar idea but cheaper.  I loved Thailand, I loved Cambodia and I loved Indonesia.  I didn't think as much of Malaysia and Singapore (in comparison I should say... I did love it there, just not as much)

#10 11-22-2009 8:17 PM

markdd
Mark
Makati City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

I would go everywhere in SE Asia! I can easily disappear to SE Asia and never leave.

#11 11-22-2009 8:53 PM

makinqomi
Tourist

haha! i second that! smile

#12 11-22-2009 10:03 PM

geek_goddess_jolie
Tourist

The Philippines if you love world-class beaches & snorkeling/diving smile

Palawan - natural wonders abound!
               -  pristine beaches, underground river, island-hopping
               -  Tubbataha Reef (search Google for the pics - UNESCO World Heritage Site)

Bohol      - historical churches & beaches all in one place, less than an hour from all areas!
               - century-old churches (also a UNESCO WH Site)
               - amazing white sand beaches, diving spots, chocolate hills

Boracay   - jaw-dropping 3 km beach stretch & crazy crazy nightlife

Thing is, it's not as close to other countries you mentioned -- you'll have to take an affordable plane ride out to get here from those areas -- but definitely worth the visit. big_smile

Last edited by geek_goddess_jolie (11-22-2009 10:05 PM)

#13 11-22-2009 11:41 PM

DidiBeachBum
Didi
Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

www.indonesiaphotography.com check this out and you can decide for yourself  if Indonesia is worth visiting or not big_smile

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer