#1 11-17-2009 3:19 AM

vixie580
Vicky
Cheshire, England
Sightseer

Backpack help...

Eurohike Colossus Transporter 65+15 Litre Travel Pack anybody got this one? looks fine to me but im no expert wink
the wheels are a necessity for me (bad back at only 21 its not good!) and that fact its reduced to £60 is appealing....
other than that iv spotted the Berghaus Jalan 65+15 Ladies 2008 but its £60 dearer!

any advice welcome! thank u xx

#2 11-17-2009 3:51 AM

jockchristie
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Re: Backpack help...

Pretty sure Eurohike is blacks/millets own brand so its probably not as high quality as a Berghaus, so I'd really check out the quality of the handle/wheels.  If they break then your carrying around an extra 1.5Kg of dead weight.

My mate has a similar Berghaus bag, minus the wheels, its really good quality but we couldn't work out how the 'biofit' system worked, well I think eventually we did work it out but it would only go half way up so he looked like he was carrying around a turtle shell.

If you have a bad back then its worth getting a woman's bag, if you get the bag set up properly it will put most of its weight onto your hips/waist rather than carrying weight on your shoulders.

#3 11-17-2009 9:49 AM

crienoloog
E.C.
Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
Couch Potato

The thing with back packs is that you always buy one way too large and therefor end up with way too heavy back pack to comfortably hiking around with.
Learn to pack less and less every time, once you really start traveling, you will find you don't miss the items you haven't packed. But do take a small day-pack on the front. Do practice packing over and over again.
When I started out unexperienced, my load was huge.. after about eight years I learned to travel lean with only a 65 ltr. [female size] backpack and a small day-pack. Beginner travelers laughed at my small pack, experienced were in awe that I traveled so lean and recognized my experience. Male back-packs were averaging 75 to 85 liters or even larger those days...
As a female I would opt for even smaller, like 50 to 55 ltrs.
One jeans on my butt, one clean in the pack... and so on. When I would go into a Nat. Park I would even leave unnecessary stuff behind in hostels to pick them up later again. There is nothing so frustrating, as having a too heavy pack killing you going up the mountain, or even dragging around at the airport.
Good luck
Mind you this was over 20 yrs ago and I would have to learn all over again but I'm sure I could do it again.

Last edited by crienoloog (11-17-2009 9:55 AM)

#4 11-17-2009 10:30 AM

Deannimal
Deanna
Warsaw, Poland
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

crienoloog wrote:

The thing with back packs is that you always buy one way too large and therefor end up with way too heavy back pack to comfortably hiking around with.
Learn to pack less and less every time, once you really start traveling, you will find you don't miss the items you haven't packed. But do take a small day-pack on the front. Do practice packing over and over again.
When I started out unexperienced, my load was huge.. after about eight years I learned to travel lean with only a 65 ltr. [female size] backpack and a small day-pack. Beginner travelers laughed at my small pack, experienced were in awe that I traveled so lean and recognized my experience. Male back-packs were averaging 75 to 85 liters or even larger those days...
As a female I would opt for even smaller, like 50 to 55 ltrs.
One jeans on my butt, one clean in the pack... and so on. When I would go into a Nat. Park I would even leave unnecessary stuff behind in hostels to pick them up later again. There is nothing so frustrating, as having a too heavy pack killing you going up the mountain, or even dragging around at the airport.
Good luck
Mind you this was over 20 yrs ago and I would have to learn all over again but I'm sure I could do it again.

Totally agree.  I managed to go light my first trip using the awesome combined knowledge of experienced travelers found here (this site is not only great for packing, but has a ton of useful info for independent travelers):

http://www.travelindependent.info/

This is still my holy grail for info on how to travel independently (meaning not on a tour).

#5 11-17-2009 2:41 PM

jockchristie
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

I've got a 55L bag and I can get everything in it minus my sleeping bag which I strap to the top. It stops you buying shit souvenirs too because you have nowhere to put them smile

#6 11-17-2009 3:17 PM

cja17
Christian
Leicester, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato

Hey Vicky

Would definitely agree with Eric and Deanna's comments above re: packing light.

Also, try and make sure you START with the lightest possible pack. The Eurohike one and the wheeled jalan 65+15 are both 4.2kg before you put ANYTHING in them - if you ever find yourself chasing a 15kg check-in limit on Air Asia for example, that's almost a third of your allowance gone before you start.

The smaller Jalan (55 +15) comes in at 2.8kg, and is available from a reputable retailer (Tiso) for £80:

http://www.tiso.com/shop/berghaus/jalan … amp;_cid=1

My personal preference is a North Face Base Camp Duffel.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- … uffel.html

I'll be using the large size (1.8kg) when I go to Thailand on Saturday. It has a single compartment which makes it easy to secure, and I find the straps really quite comfy. Go into your local Cotswold outdoor, get the staff to fill one with stuff and wander round for ten minutes - see how it feels on your back!

Travel safe...

Christian

#7 11-18-2009 3:40 AM

zexpat
Couch Potato

Less is more!

#8 11-19-2009 7:20 AM

lulusartshack
Lulu
Jacksonville, Florida
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

That is one big bag. and at 4.2kg, it's heavy without anything in it. I think my last long trip my bag weighed 8kg total on the way home (with souvenires and such). Contrary to what the website claims, it is definitely NOT "ideal for hiking trips."

You absolutely have got to physically go to a store, try on the bag, put some weights in it and walk around for a while. The weight should fall on your hips, not your shoulders or back. The wheels are a hassle when you're going up, down, moving quickly on unpaved roads... as is the attached daypack, throws your weight off. I perfer a messenger-style daybag, makes it easy to carry both together.

Pack light, and the wheels won't be a necesity. If this is your first time travelling, you will need a lot less than you think. Deanna (above) has got a pretty awesome blog about packing light. Another resource that is often cited on here for packing light is One Bag: http://www.onebag.com/

Good luck, and remember, whatever you don't bring you can buy on the road!

#9 11-19-2009 10:24 AM

Deannimal
Deanna
Warsaw, Poland
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

lulusartshack wrote:

That is one big bag. and at 4.2kg, it's heavy without anything in it. I think my last long trip my bag weighed 8kg total on the way home (with souvenires and such). Contrary to what the website claims, it is definitely NOT "ideal for hiking trips."

You absolutely have got to physically go to a store, try on the bag, put some weights in it and walk around for a while. The weight should fall on your hips, not your shoulders or back. The wheels are a hassle when you're going up, down, moving quickly on unpaved roads... as is the attached daypack, throws your weight off. I perfer a messenger-style daybag, makes it easy to carry both together.

Pack light, and the wheels won't be a necesity. If this is your first time travelling, you will need a lot less than you think. Deanna (above) has got a pretty awesome blog about packing light. Another resource that is often cited on here for packing light is One Bag: http://www.onebag.com/

Good luck, and remember, whatever you don't bring you can buy on the road!

Totally agree with Lulu about having to physically get to a store to try things on.  (Or if you're in an area where you can't, order several bags and try them on with weight:  but ideally you'd do this with a salesperson that would teach you how to adjust your bag so the weight sits on your hips).  I also agree with her assessment of the attached daypack and using a messenger bag instead, there are a TON of advantages to that. 

Since Lulu brought it up smile, here's my packing blog link:  http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/6 … ilosophy-1  The photo of the bag is what I packed on my 5 week trip to Asia (I had a roomy day bag as well).  It's a 30 L pack. 

I'd also like to give a shout out to Frank Herbert who wrote "Dune" (one of my favorite scifi books of all time).  The title of the blog (bags within bags within bags) not only describes my packing style but it is a play on words referring to a phrase Herbert would use all the time in the series.  If you like sci fi and haven't read Dune, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

#10 12-3-2009 4:27 AM

lurve2travel2010
United Kingdom
Sightseer

I've recently ordered the Eurohike Transporter so will let you know what it's like when it arrives! I too wanted a travel pack that had the option of using as a backpack or with wheels.

After reading the other comments the size/weight worries me slightly. I've bought it for my first 'backpacking' trip to Costa Rica (for 6 weeks), so I am now thinking I may realistically need 50L max - the 'packing light' theory is going to be a good test for me I think!

#11 12-9-2009 2:57 AM

lurve2travel2010
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Not sure if you've decided on your backpack yet - but whatever you do - DON'T BUY the Eurohike Transporter! When carrying mine home from the store yesterday (I had to order it in) I was convinced they'd put some kind of padding/weights in there! It was so heavy!! But had nothing in it!
It's the wheels/handle that add the weight to it.
I'm taking mine back and choosing a much smaller one - I will just have to sacrifice a few items when packing to save some room!

Last edited by lurve2travel2010 (12-9-2009 2:58 AM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer