#1 11-12-2009 12:53 PM

Posts: 93

What Country's People Travel the Most?

Link: www.anna.aero/wp-content/uploads/2009/1 … -graph.png

This includes inbound and outbound air passengers so it isn't perfect because tourism throws things off.  This is from a graph, so it is really hard to read, but according to Airbus the country with the most air travel per capita/year is:

Seychelles at about 8 trips per person
Bahamas about 7

This group between 5 and 7:
Maldives, Barbados, Malta, Cyprus, New Zealand, Macao, UAE, and Ireland.

This group between 3 to 4:
St. Lucia, Bahrain, Spain, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Qatar, USA, UK

This group between 1 to 2:
Fiji, Mauritius, Trinidad, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Greece, Brunei, Italy, Kuwait, Belgium, Finland, Sweden, Denmark

Everything else is below that.

The world average is only about 0.3.

The richest country to have the least travel is between Netherlands, Denmark, and Switzerland.
The poorest country to have the most travel is between Maldives, Seychelles, and Cape Verde.

The country with the least travel in the world (also the poorest according to Airbus) is Niger.

It would be interesting to see only international travel.  I bet the USA is much lower on the list.  It seems to me that Americans tend to travel internationally less than almost anywhere else, but probably travel domestically more than anybody else.
Joe

Last edited by airlineguy (11-12-2009 12:53 PM)

#2 11-12-2009 1:18 PM

airlineguy wrote:

Joe

Probably true - I travel at least twice as much domestically as I do internationally. But also look at the map and notice that anyone at USA's level or above it is a tiny country, nowhere near in comparison to the US! So a 2 hour drive in that country = 2 hr flight in the states. Not to mention, due to the blasted oceans, it makes it much harder and costlier to travel abroad smile

From my personal experience, seems like Australians travel the most...

#3 11-12-2009 2:30 PM

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

There's no official statistic, and estimates range from 10-25%, but I think the closest calculation came to around 18-19% of US citizens that own passports. That's OWN passports, I'm sure a large portion of them use them 1x/5yrs at best.

#4 11-12-2009 2:35 PM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1030

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

One thing with the USA is that in the past we did not need passports to go to canada or mexico or a lot of the island nations below us.

Also the usa is a gigantic country and really does have a lot to offer with different cultures, interesting cities, and beautiful landscapes.

Finally a lot of americans do go abroad, and not just to canada or mexico.  Many americans are veterans of wars and catch the travel bug then.  Even more have jobs that require going abroad whether it is the peace corp or working on a oil drilling team.

About the most travel:  I've seen lots of Israeli's and australians

#5 11-12-2009 2:53 PM

Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

Yes, to be fair to Americans, it is such a large and diverse country, there is not the same need to leave its borders. I wonder what percentage of the population in the EU has left the EU.

I definitely reckon that the Dutch must be the biggest travellers internationally per head of population. You meet an lot of them everywhere and it is a relatively small country population wise. I think they represent  a relatively very high proportion of travbuddies on this ite. Of course, a French friend of mine had a theory about that. He reckoned that if all the Dutch were in their country at the same time, it would sink.

Last edited by fransglobal (11-12-2009 2:54 PM)

#6 11-12-2009 2:59 PM

DCBackpacker
Kimberly
Christchurch, New Zealand
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 692

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

I sure do meet a lot of Aussies, Canucks and Germans....

#7 11-12-2009 3:48 PM

Flensburg, Germany
Award: Vox Populi III
Posts: 574

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

It's funny to see how Denmark is in such a low position - I'm a Dane and I know almost noone who doesn't go abroad at least once a year smile And I know LOTS who travel much much more. But then again, many probably go by car to Southern Europe or by ferry to Sweden and that doesn't count in this "survey".

Anyway - I am doing my best to push us upwards - I will have three roundtrips by air by the end of the year, so at least I'm above average wink

#9 11-12-2009 4:46 PM

WanderRTW
Oakland, California
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 177

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

If i had to guess, I would say Monaco. Most of the residents there are extremely wealthy and use Monaco as a tax haven. Monaco is so small that I can't imagine that it's resident wouldn't want to go outside every now and then.

Last edited by WanderRTW (11-12-2009 4:47 PM)

#10 11-12-2009 4:51 PM

phuncki_chic
Jodie
Perth, Australia
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato
Posts: 40

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

Apparently there are over 70million people around the world claiming Irish descent, the country would definitely sink if they all decided to visit at the same time!  Ireland has a history of outward migration which has reversed in the last 10-15 years but it seems to be turning around again so there'll be a lot more Irish leaving our Emerald shores.  I think that there is only 1 in 10 of my friends that have not gone travelling over 6 months and nearly all of us go on at least one foreign holiday a year (unfortunately we don't really get the weather for the beach here).  I have been out of the country 4 times this year (for pleasure not business)!

#11 11-12-2009 8:09 PM

koticphreak wrote:

airlineguy wrote:

Joe

From my personal experience, seems like Australians travel the most...

Of course Australians have an even worse ocean problem!!!  I would vote for Germans as the biggest int'l travelers.

#12 11-12-2009 8:11 PM

jcb3 wrote:

25% of  Americans travel abroad. That's the size of UK's population and they spend the most too.
I'd like to know the figure for other countries.

You didn't even need a passport to go to Mexico and Canada until recently.  Maybe we should exclude travel to contiguous countries in our definition of "abroad".  :-)

#13 11-12-2009 8:13 PM

fransglobal wrote:

I would blame our fear-mongering media that scares the daylights out of everybody.  People are even afraid to go to Mexico.  Of course, the Chinese are afraid of us (Americans) because they think we all have Swine Flu!  <chuckle>

#14 11-13-2009 3:48 AM

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

Amazing statistic about Ireland but people in Northern Ireland (another over 1.5 million)  are automatically entitled to an Irish passport, should they so choose.   Anybody, anywhere with an Irish grandparent is entitled to Irish citizenship, as I understand it, so there must be an awful lot of them included in the ten million.

We also sold quite a few to people who 'invested' in Ireland but I cannot imagine the figure for that was very high. They have also been forged too by people engaged in various unusual activities (eg. Oliver North) but again I imagine the figure is very low.

All that said, I would say that Irish people do travel abroad a lot, probably a very high proportion of the polulation, but apart from anything else, the weather might have something to do with that.

As previously mentioned by other posters, Israelis must be high up the list, particularly in South America and India.

Last edited by fransglobal (11-13-2009 3:50 AM)

#15 11-13-2009 6:03 AM

lamadude
Cedric
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Writer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 64

fransglobal wrote:

That graph posted in the first post says the exact opposite however, compared with other rich western european countries, the Dutch don't seem to travel very often. Maybe they are just very recognizable, travelling with huge caravans, wearing orange T-shirts and being very loud ;-) (kidding kidding)

#16 11-13-2009 6:52 AM

Bristol, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

Americans, British and Japanese. Why? Because they have the most money, generally.

#17 11-13-2009 8:10 AM

GeorgeLeach wrote:

I'd also have to heavily disagree, Americans don't have that much money (not individually anyways, have you seen our rich people stats? something ridiculous, like 5% of the people have 95% of all the money)

#18 11-13-2009 8:18 AM

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

BTW, I posted some more data along these same lines here:
http://www.travbuddy.com/forums/viewtop … 73#p171773

I thought it deserved its own thread!

#19 11-13-2009 12:05 PM

koticphreak wrote:

GeorgeLeach wrote:

Same as anywhere. What you need to ask yourself is who do you bump into on your travels? Are they Brits, Americans, Japs, Canadians and Australians or are they Turks, Russians, Swedes, Chinese and Indians? Okay, that's by no means exclusive but more often that not it's those sort of nationalitys who have the disposable income to travel and spend. They are all nations with strong economies (even right now. It's all relative after all) and have the structure in place to do it, whether it's a resort in Spain or a trek across China. The balk of the wealth may be divided on a small percentage but that doesn't make everyone else dirt poor, it just makes some people super rich. There's a huge rich-poor divide in the UK between the working man and film stars, for example, but that doesn't mean the working man can't afford a new car or to go on holiday. The divide isn't like it is in Zimbabwe. Living below the poverty line in Britian is classified as not having Sky TV and a car newer than 10 years old. In Zimbabwe it's classified as being unable to feed yourself. It's all relative.

#20 11-13-2009 3:42 PM

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

You always bumped into a huge number of Swedes, at least relative to population, particularly in sunny. warm places when it is winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

You meet an largely increasing no. of Russians, Chinese, Turks and Indians s travelling around the place. The world is changing very rapidly and it will be interesting to see what the statistics will be in twenty years time.

Last edited by fransglobal (11-13-2009 3:43 PM)

#21 11-14-2009 3:17 AM

jcb3 wrote:

Hey George, the word "Jap(s)" is pretty insulting and dehumanizing- sort of like using the N word.  Not good at all.

Hardly. It's not intended in a racist way, I'm just too lazy to type Japanese each time. I see no differance between using it and people calling me a Brit, to be honest. If I wanted to insult of dehumanise them, I'd be using something a lot stronger than Jap.

#22 11-16-2009 3:40 AM

Aopaq
BY
Xiamen, China
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Travelpedian
Posts: 97

jcb3 wrote:

Not that I find it too insulting but I can understand how some people may find the term "Japs" a bit derogatory much in the same way I guess some might not like being called "Brits."
However, your laziness excuse might seem a bit flimsy to some readers given that you were apparently not too lazy to write out Americans (9 letters), Canadians (9 letters) and Australians (11 letters), given that Japanese is only 8 letters long.  wink

Apologies for going off topic!

#23 11-17-2009 4:15 AM

Aopaq wrote:

Apologies for going off topic!

Yeah, but I don't know any shortened versions of those nationalities that actually aren't outright offensive, bar possible yanks which I guess is a bit 50/50.

#24 11-17-2009 4:40 AM

Andy99
Andrew
Springfield, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 2173

Re: What Country's People Travel the Most?

On my recent trip to New York City, the international visitors I encountered most often were from the UK, Italy, and Germany. There was also a large student group from Brazil at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer