#1 6-12-2009 11:33 PM

msjulicious
Couch Potato
Posts: 19

Narita Airport - procedures before flight departure

Hello! This is my first time flying overseas. I am curious of what I need to know before boarding my flight in Narita Airport.

1. How early should I arrive before my flight leaves? (In America they recommend 2 hours before your plane's scheduled departure.)

2. What are things that are not allowed on the plane? Is this any different from America's regulations?

Thank you so much!

#2 6-13-2009 12:26 AM

smuffygt
Joshua
Warren, Pennsylvania
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 120

Re: Narita Airport - procedures before flight departure

1.-Would be a good idea. Make sure you get TO Narita early as well for your flight. I missed mine because I didn't realize Narita was actually an hour away from Tokyo!

2. I found the rules were very similar. The only difference is that they were way more strict about electronic devices. I would still recommend checking with the airline you plan to fly with for specifics. I flew with ANA, but I'm not sure if there are others or not. If you obey basic rules I'm sure you'll be fine. Everyone was super friendly an very helpful for my flight. Best of luck and have a great time!

#3 6-13-2009 8:24 PM

twinklingstar
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Couch Potato
Posts: 16

Re: Narita Airport - procedures before flight departure

I always aim to get there 3 hours before, primarily as the queues at certain times can be hectic and others non exsistant!

I have never had issues with taking equipment (I-pod/laptop etc) onto flights,  though I usually fly BA/Asiana out of Tokyo so this may differ. Check with your airline as when I have flown with United, they appear to do an extra check before boarding the plane/remove water bought airside from fellow passengers when I've flown with them from HK. (granted I only use them to HK-HCMC, this may differ again..)

Narita airport is easy to navigate, people are helpful and friendly and never had a problem so far (touch wood, I'm back there in July!)

Have a great trip wink

#4 6-15-2009 6:13 PM

smuffygt
Joshua
Warren, Pennsylvania
Posts: 120

twinklingstar wrote:

Have a great trip wink

By strict with electronics I meant they just ask you to put them away super early. There's pretty much no point in getting them out until the plane is in the air. Not anything to worry about though. Sorry for the confusion smile

#5 6-18-2009 4:05 AM

JaitcH
Jay
Buon Ma Thuot, Vietnam
Award: Critic IAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 977

Re: Narita Airport - procedures before flight departure

If you can make it through US security, and assuming Homeland Security types don't steal anything, you should be set. Keep all your electronics in working state (with batteries) and put them in clothing pockets - even buy a 'hunting' type jacket with many pockets to keep goodies handy yet safe.

Scan your passport data pages and any visas and e-mail them to yourself so if you lose anything you have handy copies. Remember passports can be snatched so bury (in your clothing)  them before you leave security areas.

#6 6-19-2009 1:04 AM

lee-81
lee
North Weald, England
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 110

Re: Narita Airport - procedures before flight departure

you should leave earlier then you think necessary the train takes about a hour to 90mins and it can be confusing. I thought i was on the right train but it stopped in the middle of nowhere and everyone got off, i saw a fellow traveler who looked equally confused so we teamed up and thought we were getting on the right train but a nice Japanese lady who spoke English stopped us and helped us get on the right train.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer