#1 5-21-2009 5:42 PM

Greensboro, North Carolina
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Engagement Ring In Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

My buddy and I are traveling to HO Chi Minh City,Saigon, in June.  He is looking for a place to get a real diamond engagement ring.  As neither of us know of a reputable place I am asking for suggestions.  We will be staying in District 1 fairly close to 23/9 park and Ben Thanh Market.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Scott

Last edited by chimps13 (5-21-2009 5:46 PM)

#2 5-21-2009 10:28 PM

JaitcH
Jay
Buon Ma Thuot, Vietnam
Award: Critic IAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 977

Re: Engagement Ring In Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Why would you want to buy a diamond in VietNam?

VietNam is not known as a diamond source and therefore prices are higher because of taxes and duty. Such items also attract heavy attention from customs. This also applies, even more so, to gold. Gold is frequently used to settle land transactions.

There are several jewelery stores in the Ben Thanh Market area on Le Loi and on the street behind the market (Le Thanh Ton).

Don't buy any jewelery in Bangkok as it is a well known scam centre - especially for tourists.

Why not try buying a diamond from a jewelery wholesaler in your home country? (At least you know who you are dealing with)

Last edited by JaitcH (5-21-2009 10:29 PM)

#3 5-22-2009 12:01 AM

PaulT
Paul
Dublin, Ireland
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 154

Re: Engagement Ring In Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

oh come on, u wanna buy a diamond ring in the world famous gem scam place?! (being se asia; thailand, vietnam etc)... not gonna ask why, just wish u good luck! i'd say its even better if u get it in the market near u! i mean its all gonna be fakes, so why not get a cheap one? lol, ya made me laugh! big_smile

#4 5-25-2009 3:57 PM

chimps13
Greensboro, North Carolina
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Re: Engagement Ring In Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I am not buying anything.  I told my buddy I would ask for him.  I did not seriously think it was an option but I can now say I asked.  Buy one thing there and you have to run to get away from all the others that come at you.   I am not sure if I saw anything for sale that was real.  Thanks though.  Always glad I can provide a laugh, Paul.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer