#1 4-13-2009 4:31 PM

Posts: 59

Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

Hey there,

I will be visiting Bolivia in July and a yellow fever certificate is required to enter the country. The cost for the vaccine in Los Angeles is $110 plus $20-50 for the clinic visit -a total of $160, ouch!

Another alternative is to get it in Peru, at the Lima international airport since I'll be visiting Peru first. Has anyone gotten this vaccine at the Lima airport before and if so, how was your experience and how much did it cost? I've heard it's about $20-30, which is not bad compared to getting it in the U.S.

Also, I know I have to wait for at least 10 days after getting the shot before I can visit Bolivia, which is fine.

Why is it so expensive here in the U.S. when in some areas in Peru it's even given for free? Does anyone know of a cheap way of getting it in Los Angeles?

#2 4-13-2009 4:46 PM

PaulT
Paul
Dublin, Ireland
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 154

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

Yellow fever vaccine is free (or fairly cheap) in the countries where it's crucial for the ppl living in it. U can only be happy ur not getting it in Europe- its around 150 Euros in here! wink

#3 4-13-2009 5:38 PM

traveldog
Liz
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 20

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

Hmmm, I got my yellow fever shot for Bolivia but my health insurance covered it.

#4 4-13-2009 5:44 PM

silan
Silan
Vancouver, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 39

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

Yup check your health insurance coverage just in case.

I like to twist my reasoning by saying that now that I have the vaccination, I should get my money's worth and travel to places where it is necessary..... that makes sense, right? hehe

#5 4-13-2009 9:35 PM

bastian8
Bastian
Manchester, New Hampshire
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Ambassador
Posts: 21

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

Ouch!  Im going to Africa in June and I gotta get a tun of shots next monday.  Yellow Feaver being one of them.  I am hoping my insurance covers it though.  I need to get polio shots too.  I heard that hurts like a biach!  Im scared.  Better to get them though I guess.  Good luck!

#6 4-13-2009 10:56 PM

Adrian_Liston
Adrian
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 508

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

It's expensive because it isn't mass produced. Also, because everyone in the US or Europe who needs the shot can afford to travel - so they can afford to pay a few hundred not to die while traveling.

#7 4-14-2009 2:21 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Kampala, Uganda
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4625

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

As I understand it, it's also the sort of vaccine which has to be very carefully stored and administered because it is a thick serum. Not every doctor's surgery in the uk is registered to give it because it is more complex than - for example- hepatitis. And given the hallucinations the shots have dad, I totally wouldn't risk the real illness!

#8 4-14-2009 4:38 AM

danny291
Daniel
Kent, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 593

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

i had to get it done for work and it cost me £47.50 and that was for travel to Egypt, even though its not recommended they still made us have it

#9 4-14-2009 4:48 AM

jenn79
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 223

Any help is appreciated.

I got the yellow fever shot at USC a couple years back. Where are you getting this price from? The consultation should be free if you have insurance - I had blue cross PPO so I only had the $20 copay. Can't remember how much the shot was as I got something like 3 of them, but I don't remember it being over 300 total for all the shots and a little kit and binder on East African health precautions. Call USC Executive Health Center and ask them for the travel health department.

#10 4-14-2009 4:49 AM

jenn79
Posts: 223

sarahelaine wrote:

You got hallucinations after this?? That's so funny, you're the first person I've heard from who has had a really bad reaction. I had my first panic attack abotu 1 hour after injection - I didn't know what it was and ended up in the ER - ridiculous, huh??

#11 4-14-2009 4:57 AM

Kaantie95
Travel
Bahrain
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 477

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

It seems expensive allright. I had mine in Suriname before leaving to Brazil (it's one shot valid for 10 years). Yes, you have to wait 10 days before you can travel. Funny thing is that when I flew into Brazil, they never checked or asked for it. But you MUST have it, anyway.

I did it very cheap in Suriname. It is a very good idea to get it in other South Ameircan country before travel into Bolivia. I do not know about in Peru, try PM Yadilitta, she may help.

I am pretty sure you can get it cheaper in Carribean, if you do have transit or fly via some carribean countries.

Good luck

#12 4-14-2009 5:39 AM

yadilitta
Yadi
Lima, Peru
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 279

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

Yes, be sure to get it 10 days before traveling, otherwise it wouldn't be valid. But at least it's good for 10 years, so it's not that expensive, hehehe

#13 4-14-2009 5:53 AM

yadilitta
Yadi
Lima, Peru
Posts: 279

Any help is appreciated.

Hey! That's a good idea getting the shot in Lima. It would be less expensive than doing it in the States. Because of work, some colleagues had to do that and that's what we did. And here you don't need it unless you are going to the jungle...

Just be sure to get it the first day you arrive, so you won't have any problem later.

I have some contacts, so if you need help, just let me know. big_smile

#14 4-14-2009 6:50 AM

Posts: 477

Yadi, you are so sweet.

#15 4-14-2009 12:34 PM

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

Thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately, I have a crappy health insurance, I've just checked with them and they don't cover the yellow fever vaccine. That's the beauty of our health care system in the states, it's very expensive and not necessarily great. You lucky Canadians you.

Thank goodness we can always recur to developing countries to get our vaccinations for cheap. Lima airport, here I come.

#16 4-14-2009 12:57 PM

Adrian_Liston
Adrian
Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 508

Marcopolo1 wrote:

Mine didn't either when I was living in the US, so I had to shell out the full amount.

Marcopolo1 wrote:

It won't actually work for two weeks, and I don't know if they'll check the date on your Vaccination passport.

#17 4-14-2009 3:00 PM

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

From what I understand, the certificate is valid 10 days after getting the vaccination and that's how long it takes for the vaccine to take effect. I'm not going anywhere near the jungle so I should be ok and I was going to bring insect repellent, anyway.

#18 4-14-2009 3:45 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Kampala, Uganda
Explorer
Posts: 4625

jenn79 wrote:

sarahelaine wrote:

nah, dad hallucinated on it rather than me.  but I hallucinate on cough mixture (pseudoephidrine) - properly trip on it - so it's probably only a matter of time!

#19 4-14-2009 3:57 PM

Jemennuie
Adrianne
New York, New York
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 76

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

I got mine and it only cost me $84 and the clinic visit was covered by my insurance.  That really is a bit steep! I was required to get a rabies vaccination though and apparently there is a shortage on them right now and that cost me a great deal more.

#20 4-15-2009 11:44 AM

Jemennuie wrote:

I know,  that's what I don't understand, if some developing countries can afford to give vaccinations for free, why is it so expensive in the states and in Europe, how do you justify it?

#21 4-15-2009 12:20 PM

nsg007
NX
Bengaluru, India
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Ambassador
Posts: 1

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

Its expensive in the US, because all medical care is outrageously priced. I got mine in India for $10. Its the same shot given in all countries as the vaccine is produced for the WHO.  It doesn't matter where you get it, but if you find yourself in Congo, like I did, make sure you have your shot prior, or you will have to bribe your way through and pay atleast 30-50 dollars.

#22 4-15-2009 1:16 PM

bdxtremeone
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Travelpedian
Posts: 77

Re: Yellow Fever shot - why so expensive?

I recently went to Thailand. The shot wasn't required but it was strongly encouraged to prevent yellow fever and dengue fever. I took my chances and I got lucky but I know a few people that caught dengue fever. if you plan to be there for more than 2 weeks then I think you should invest in getting the vaccination. Don't risk your life if you don't have to.

Last edited by bdxtremeone (4-15-2009 1:17 PM)

#23 4-15-2009 4:10 PM

nsg007 wrote:

That's exactly what I mean. I'm not saying I want it for free but I'm not willing to shell out $110 for something that ca be obtained for $10-30. Makes no sense whatsoever.

#24 4-16-2009 2:17 PM

bigtex1113 wrote:

is it necessary to get the shot to visit the following countries:

Ecuador
Peru
Bolivia
Chile
Argentina
Uruguay
Paraguay

I won't be going to the jungle really. If it's not required, I'll probably pass and just take my chances. If it's required I'll probably pass and take my chances.

Yellow fever begins suddenly after an incubation period of three to five days in the human body. In mild cases only fever and headache may be present.

Within 24 hours about 15% develop a more severe form, in which they enter the "toxic phase" characterized by fever, chills, bleeding into the skin, paradoxically slow heartbeat, headache, back pains, and extreme prostration. Nausea, vomiting, and constipation are common. Jaundice usually appears on the second or third day.

After the third day the symptoms recede, only to return with increased severity in the final stage, during which there is a marked tendency to hemorrhage internally; the characteristic “coffee ground�  vomitus contains blood. The patient then lapses into delirium and coma, followed by death in about 50% of those who enter the toxic phase.

#25 4-19-2009 2:11 PM

sontrmff
Joonas
Sweden
Posts: 2

mhmm, I just took it in Finland and paid I think about 60 euros ;E

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer