eX cafe

arashiyama, Japan

eX cafe arashiyama Reviews

reikunboy reikunboy
Japanese style coffee shop Nov 23, 2008
We were in Arashiyama to see the Autumn leaves along with a million other people and we found this beautiful Japanese style coffee shop. We had to wait for about 30 minutes to enter the place as the town was absolutely choc a block full of people but we were able to enjoy the beautiful garden surrounding the cafe. A traditional Japanese garden.

The menu is rather small just coffee's and macha (green tea) which I highly recommend you to try while you are in Kyoto, they also serve one kind of sandwich which my wife had and some Japanese style sweets which is full of anko( soya bean paste) in general foreigners don't like this taste. The cafe's speciality is kuramaru which happens to be black roll cake, my son thought it was delicious.

We were seated next to the window which offered a great view of a small Japanese garden so try and get a window seat if you can. The waiters are all dressed in kimono and they play traditional music in the background which adds to the ambience of the place.

Service is fast though a little expensive for a cappuccino, orange juice, macha, a sandwich and kuramaru it came to around 28$ but I would definately come back to this place again.
the entrance of eX cafe
macha, green tea
kuramaru cake, black roll cake
salad sandwich