davidx's Travel Lists

Create a New List
12 items
In my list of 'God's own County' I have concentrated on particular places of scenic or other interest. I feel there is room for some attention to our settlements large and small, However there is no way that this list will ever be comprehensive. It consists mainly (though not exclusively) of places in West Yorkshire (home) and the Yorkshire Dales (my favourite national park) but even for these areas it can only be a sample.
63 items
Most of Spain is far and away too hot for me in the height of summer. I find it hard to imagine why so many people go to Spanish beaches on the Costa Brava, Costa, Blanca, Costa del Sol etc year on year in the summer months - but everyone to their choice. I love Spain in the winter. I like to get inland, where the image of a Brit is still mainly untarnished and where there are multi-season days - sweaters and warm clothes in the morning gradually shed until you are in rolled up shirt sleeves.
43 items
I have to make a list for the county where I live, albeit most entries will eventually be for North Yorkshire, whereas I live in West Yorkshire. I am not making a separate list for the Yorkshire Dales and so this list will eventually contain part of Cumbria - but what's an acknowledged geographical lapse between Travel Buddies?
55 items
Places in the minus bracket are covered in other lists. However I suppose it might seem a bit harsh that only places in God's Own County or the Land of My Birth can get into lists.
35 items
OK - my birth place is Plymouth which is in Devon - but it's only just across the river Tamar to Cornwall. In fact, however, it's only SE Cornwall that I visited much as a boy. Most Cornish entries are from more recent visits whereas Devon is based on long time memories. It is arranged so that Devon comes first, the River Tamar that belongs to both being the dividing point.
59 items
I am not claiming these are the best things to do in Scotland. I am very aware of huge gaps. Some I find particularly regrettable like Orkney, Shetland, Glen Affric and most of the east. However Scotland is one of my favourite summer countries - even though I have occasionally found the heat well beyond good mountain weather. So this is just a list of places I have been and enjoyed and I hope you will get ideas from it.
42 items
I am as English as I can be. I am not ashamed of it - I was born that way. However, I have close family in both wales and Scotland and I should be in trouble if I did not start a list on Wales. It really is wonderful. For such a small country to have three great national parks, fabulous beaches, mountains and so many historical sites and buildings has to mean something. The list may be short (Nov 2010) but it will grow.
23 items
Yes, I do know that Sicily is part of Italy and the 'and' in the title is wrong. However I am nowhere near the first to observe that when in Sicily, it feels like a separate country. I shall try to keep roughly from north to south. It will be rough - but Sicily will certainly come last.
21 items
France is so big and with so much to see that it is hard to think of a list that could contain more than a bit - but these are places that I enjoyed.
8 items
I only had a short break in Marrakech but some of its sights, and those on a trip out, were worth grouping
40 items
Don't kid yourself that it's never hot up there. The first time I went to Geiranger the very first thing I did - at the risk of missing a ferry - was to buy some sun cream. However it avoids the barbarous heat of Iberia, Italy and southern France. AND IS IT BEAUTIFUL! I shall try to order my list - Norway, Sweden, Finland, Aland, Færoes.
22 items
I shall do a separate list for Madeira - it is so different in terms of location, vegetation and landscape that I regard it as separate. I hope to see a lot more of Portugal yet but I have been to a number of places and this list, like most of my others, will grow.
26 items
I have never been up a mountain in Northern Ireland but I have enjoyed many walks in England's Lake District, Wales and Scotland. Whereas many from this list appear in the Scottish or Welsh groups, I thought it might be as well to have them all together.
9 items
We had a week in Madeira in April 2007.
8 items
We spent about three weeks in Peru with an Exodus tour, Inca Royal Highway.