dAt bAr

11 Market St., Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

dAt bAr Newcastle upon Tyne Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Informal and quirky Nov 11, 2017
This bar and restaurant are owned by the same people as several other Newcastle establishments, and it shows in the décor, with the walls similarly covered in mock old advertising posters. There’s something a little studied about this, and about the erratic use of upper and lower case letters in the name, but this is easily forgiven as it does everything else simply and well – friendly service and a well-priced menu which features pizzas cooked in a proper pizza oven, burgers made with good quality beef, charcuterie boards to share and a range of small plates also for sharing or as a starter. When we visited it was Newcastle Restaurant Week and although we hadn’t downloaded the supposedly essential voucher (not having planned in advance) we were offered a deal that made the already reasonable prices a steal – two burgers for £10!

I chose the “9 Burger” (with Montgomery cheddar melt, baby leeks, onion compôte and pickled borettane onions) which I had as what they term a “Nudi burger”, i.e. without a bun – but I did add hand-cut chips which came in a generous portion. Chris had “Joe’s Burger” (with baby gem, slices of beef tomatoes, sliced gherkin, crisp pancetta and Dijon mustard sauce) in a bun and with shoestring fries. We both drank beer – they have 20 changing beers on tap, but I don’t remember which we chose. I do know that we enjoyed both beer and meal, and will certainly go back to sample other options here – maybe one of those pizzas!
In dAt bAr