TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 664,682 travelers just like you!

bensonryan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Name: Ryan
Hometown: Dawsonville, Georgia, USA
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Join Date: April 2, 2009
Contributions: bensonryan has written about 133 places, shared 9,606 photos, left 604 comments, and smiled 13,761 times.
Interested in: meeting new people, meeting other people to travel with, sharing travel tips and blogs
Travel Plans
Manaus, Brazil
Feb 26, 2017 – Feb 26, 2017
Last minute layover
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Feb 26, 2017 – Mar 14, 2017
Part of my gap year next year.
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mar 15, 2017 – Mar 16, 2017
» see all 12 future travel and dream destinations
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
English, Spanish, Japanese
Interests
Books you might find in my backpack
Music you might find me listening to while waiting for my plane
Most Memorable Travel Experience
Transiting the Panama canal 4 times when I was in the Navy. I remember all the times it was muggy and extremely hot as I was the one driving the frigate in the middle of the night. I felt mosquitoes biting my exposed neck and hands. It was memorable watching the locks fill up with the water and watch the water level rise looking at the process from the inside. I had to stay up all night in transit (duty is duty). I wish I was able to take pics.

Volunteering for the Elephant Show in Thailand. I was the subject under elephant stunts. Looking at the elephants walk over my body was a rather interesting, as they were under the call of their trainers. I was also tied to a target in a blindfold as elephants shot balloons between my legs and under my arms with darts. Thank goodness they were trained well.

Traveling through the Mongolian Steppe with a personal tour guide into the vast emptiness. Got to try fermented horse milk and hang out in a yurt. Visited the largest horse statue in the world and got to pick up some majestic birds of prey.

Predjama Castle in Slovenia had pretty interesting architecture and history. Stuff movies could be made out of.

My friends getting into a drunken brawl in Aruba while I helplessly watched.
Profile
I am a big kid who still wants to be a rock star!

Right brained. Disorganized Genius. Recovering workaholic.
NickelP says:
Thanks for the smiles on my blog. Enjoy Brazil!
Posted on: Feb 25, 2017
stacey72 says:
Thanks very much for all the smiles! I hope you're having a nice weekend. :)
Posted on: Feb 25, 2017
vances says:
Thanks for stopping at the cafe, Ryan...and WOW, Rio is here already? Have an excellent adventure!

:^)
Posted on: Feb 23, 2017

bensonryan's Travel Blogs

2017
Jan 13, 2017 – Feb 26, 2017
Heading south and then east
Overview 0 words 203 9 83
Jan 28, 2016 – Dec 11, 2016
Tour de Persian Gulf and heading back west!
Overview 3,170 words 1,742 243 2,005
This blog was featured on Saturday October 22nd, 2016
Dec 31, 2014 – Dec 25, 2015
Bouncing around across two oceans and 4 continents. This has been a tough transition from leaving my confines of Japan where I …
Overview 2,963 words 1,661 162 1,099
This blog was featured on Saturday January 16th, 2016

bensonryan's Travel Reviews

Average priced "Hotels & Accommodations" in Jacksonville, Florida, USA
The airport Red Roof Inn on Airport Rd in Jacksonville has close proximity to the airport. There…
Average priced "Restaurants, Cafes & Food" in Duluth, Georgia, USA
I went to Gwinnett county with my brother and his girlfriend and we decided to enjoy some Korean…
Expensive "Restaurants, Cafes & Food" in Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Koi Sushi Bar and Grill is located in Gulfport off the I-10 highway. Guests have choices to eat …
Updated 1 hour ago