TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 669,777 travelers just like you!

bensonryan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Name: Ryan
Hometown: Dawsonville, Georgia, USA
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Join Date: April 2, 2009
Contributions: bensonryan has written about 142 places, shared 10,520 photos, left 636 comments, and smiled 15,505 times.
Interested in: meeting new people, meeting other people to travel with, sharing travel tips and blogs
Travel Plans
Countries I've Traveled To
Languages Spoken
English, Spanish, Japanese
Interests
Books you might find in my backpack
Music you might find me listening to while waiting for my plane
Most Memorable Travel Experience
Transiting the Panama canal 4 times when I was in the Navy. I remember all the times it was muggy and extremely hot as I was the one driving the frigate in the middle of the night. I felt mosquitoes biting my exposed neck and hands. It was memorable watching the locks fill up with the water and watch the water level rise looking at the process from the inside. I had to stay up all night in transit (duty is duty). I wish I was able to take pics.

Volunteering for the Elephant Show in Thailand. I was the subject under elephant stunts. Looking at the elephants walk over my body was a rather interesting, as they were under the call of their trainers. I was also tied to a target in a blindfold as elephants shot balloons between my legs and under my arms with darts. Thank goodness they were trained well.

Traveling through the Mongolian Steppe with a personal tour guide into the vast emptiness. Got to try fermented horse milk and hang out in a yurt. Visited the largest horse statue in the world and got to pick up some majestic birds of prey.

Predjama Castle in Slovenia had pretty interesting architecture and history. Stuff movies could be made out of.

My friends getting into a drunken brawl in Aruba while I helplessly watched.

Closing on a rental property in the States while I am staying at a hotel in a Brazilian Favela.
Profile
I am a big kid who still wants to be a rock star!

Right brained. Disorganized Genius. Recovering workaholic.

Prior Military. Fell in love with traveling once I hit my first port visit in Nassau, Bahamas. I kick myself for not taking photos from 2003-2009 but the only things I take with me are the memories and I learned that now. Now I'll be settling down as a temporary stay at home dad in Japan while I look for work.
williamsworld says:
How are things going my friend? Hope all is well. Happy travels to you.
Cheers, Britt
Posted on: Apr 24, 2017
Andy99 says:
Thank you for your smiles for Synagogue Mikvé Israel-Emanuel in Curaçao, Ryan!
Posted on: Apr 23, 2017
spocklogic says:
Thanks, Ryan, for the congrats and smiles on the featured review of Hotel Giudecca Venezia!
Posted on: Apr 20, 2017

bensonryan's Travel Blogs

2017 (USA/Brazil/Japan)
Jan 13, 2017 – Apr 29, 2017
Heading south and then east
Overview 55 words 1,117 102 1,198
Jan 28, 2016 – Dec 11, 2016
Tour de Persian Gulf and heading back west!
Overview 3,170 words 1,742 244 2,005
This blog was featured on Saturday October 22nd, 2016
Dec 31, 2014 – Dec 25, 2015
Bouncing around across two oceans and 4 continents. This has been a tough transition from leaving my confines of Japan where I …
Overview 2,963 words 1,661 163 1,103
This blog was featured on Saturday January 16th, 2016

bensonryan's Travel Reviews

Cheap "Hotels & Accommodations" in Guarulhos, Brazil
Hotel San Marco is located 20 minutes from the Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport. Do not be deceived i…
Cheap "Sights & Attractions" in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
In the Guanabara Bay of Rio De Janeiro lies the Sugarloaf mountain, which is actually a set of t…
This review was featured on Monday April 10th, 2017
Cheap "Hotels & Accommodations" in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Vidigal Guest House is located in the Vidigal favela that peaks over the city of Rio De Jane…
Updated 2 hours ago