TravBuddy is the #1 online travel community
Share hotel reviews, travel blogs, photos, travel advice and meet over 679,430 travelers just like you!

balam

Name: Gareth
Hometown: Manchester, England, UK
Location: Manchester, England, UK
Join Date: January 7, 2017
Contributions: balam has written about 15 places, shared 58 photos, left 7 comments, and smiled 11 times.
Interested in: sharing travel tips and blogs, just browsing!
Travel Plans
Japan
dream destination
Countries I've Traveled To
Most Memorable Travel Experience
Visiting Pompeii & Herculaneum was probably the most fantastic experience I have ever had, words cannot explain the feelings that you get from walking around these ancient places. Both are certainly worth a visit by everybody even if they have no real interest in history.
Profile
I have arrived here along with many others after spending years as a member of Virtual Tourist they have decided to just shut down.
I like travelling which I suppose is obvious being on here, I live on my own in a terraced house in Oldham, Manchester, UK.

I love going on holiday or day trips and looking at old buildings (it's the old Goth in me) and watching people . I hate sitting on a beach, it's so boring and there are so many interesting things to see. I love to walk around Ancient places and to explore castles and archaeological sites or to sit in a local tavern and watch the world go by. I can quite happily spend every day just walking around exploring places and taking lots and lots of photos.

I love cooking and can quite happily spend hours in the kitchen just cooking and freezing food, or looking around food and cookware shops both at home and abroad. I have a large collection of recipe books and books about cooking.

Photography is another passion; I believe in taking as many pictures as possible and love to browse through them.

Old buildings are great, I hate these modern metal and glass structures that will probably have to be pulled down in 50 years, give me a castle or a Tudor house any day especially if it's haunted. My ideal holiday is just walking around castles and Fortifications from the middle ages, or ruins from ancient Rome, Greece and any other Ancient Civilisations. The most amazing places I have been has to start with Herculaneum and Pompeii, they were absolutely fantastic.

I have and have always had a great interest in Japanese history Particularly the Samurai and Geisha traditions and the Martial Arts, Thai boxing, Tae kwon do, Kenjutsu, Iaido, bojutsu, Bujutsu and of course Ninjutsu. I collect Swords and other Ancient/martial art weapons.
planxty says:
Hi Gareth,

just stumbled upon your page whilst looking at Gilly's. Can't believe I have not sent you a friends requst before so one on the way now.

Safe travels.

Fergy.
Posted on: Jul 20, 2017
EmEm says:
Happy Birthday
Posted on: Apr 11, 2017
vicIII says:
Hello, Gareth! Greetings from another VT refugee!...
Posted on: Mar 14, 2017

balam's Travel Reviews

Free! "Sights & Attractions" in Manchester, England, UK
With more than 4 million printed books and manuscripts, over 41,000 electronic journals and 500,…
Free! "Sights & Attractions" in Manchester, England, UK
The Manchester Museum on Oxford Road offers a chance to visit one of the best Egyptology exhibit…
Free! "Sights & Attractions" in Manchester, England, UK
The Town Hall is Manchester's greatest monument. For many, it is a candidate for the Victorian B…