Zum Kachelofen

0951 - 57172

Zum Kachelofen Bamberg Reviews

dougal dougal
Dec 28, 2006
The first thing to say about Zum Kachelofen is that it's small. Very small.

Basically it consists of a bar, two or three tables along the wall opposite the bar and two small offshot rooms at either end of the bar which contained a table each. If you had a cat that you were intent on swinging around I feel sure it would suffer a serious headache as you clattered the walls with it.

All this does make, however, for a very cosy and intimate experience - what it lacks in space it makes up for in character. Traditionally styled it looked like the décor hadn't had much done to it in a good long while (a good thing) and it really gives a flavour of old Bavaria. It's position on the corner of a small square means it has ample space for as many tables again outside on it's terraced front which obviously increases it's capacity in the summer months but as we'd just braved frozen rain in December we obviously opted to sit inside.

The place gets it's name from a traditional Alpine wood burning oven which sits in the corner of one of the rooms - you see them a lot in Bavaria, they're large affairs covered in ceramic tiles which were traditionally used to dry outer clothes and of course heat the room.

Unfortunately we didn't get chance to sample the food as when we returned the second night it was too busy to wait for a table (even though the proprietor had said we would have no problems getting seated). They did have an English language menu though, comprising of the standard sort of Bavarian fayre which judging by the plates being brought out of the kitchen was ample and appetising. The staff were friendly and welcoming, with those waiting on tables attired in the traditional lederhosen and durdel (sp?) just for added value.

It being somewhat busy when we arrived we perched ourselves at the end of the bar and partook in a glass of wine... or two... or three... or four... The white wine is served in the traditional local flat bottomed glasses with the chunky spiral stem - that’s a terrible description I'm afraid, you'll have to discover it for yourself.
dougal says:
Well let me know when you'll be going and I'll give you the guided tour!!
Posted on: Jan 11, 2007
Higton says:
Damn you, you make me want to go to Germany again. I can´t afford that at the moment...
Posted on: Jan 10, 2007