ZooAmerica - North American Wildlife Park

www.zooamerica.com - (717) 534-3900

ZooAmerica - North American Wildlife Park Hershey Reviews

WalterC WalterC
Unless you have Hersheypark ticket, skip this zoo Jul 04, 2016
Located in the town of Hershey, ZooAmerica – North American Wildlife Park (or just simply ZooAmerica) is a small zoo that is within the property of Hersheypark. Even though it is a part of the amusement park, there is separate admission for those who want to see the zoo only. But if you plan to go to Hersheypark as well, the zoo is included in the park admission as well.

There is a separate parking lot for those going to the zoo only, which is free. Make sure you ask, if you are not sure. And close to the Hershey Story, the Museum on Chocolate Avenue, and along the railroad track, I think there is a little tunnel to go from the parking deck of the museum, to the zoo lot. Plus a different entrance for those who want to go to the zoo only, as you have to go through a gift shop.

ZooAmerica has a collection of North American animals, and can be seen within an hour. There is a suggested route, that allows people to see just about everything in the zoo. And some parts organized by region of North America, but I don’t see it done very well. Some of the animals included mountain lion, bobcat, bald eagle, rattlesnakes, black bear, and more. A relatively good collection of animals, though I did not see too many.

However, most of the enclosures are really small, and really outdated. And the placement of some of them is just plain wrong, like the one with the green parrot, located high along a hill, and almost impossible to see. It just feels like a step back in time, and not in a good way, as this zoo seems like it tries to cramp in as many animals as possible in such small space.

Maybe it was due to the rain when I was there, but I did feel very underwhelmed by this zoo, to put it mildly. Even with low expectations, as I was really hoping it would be something really good, considering the admission price that I paid. But it did not, as it was clearly overpriced!

While I am not expecting this place to be at the level of other major zoos, I can’t help but think there is such wasted potential with this zoo. Maybe the priority is more on the amusement park itself, but still, is it too much to ask for improvement? That’s considering how much money is made at the amusement park, and none of it seems to help the zoo. And I find that really unacceptable.

The animals there deserve better! And so do we! I think this zoo is only worth visiting for those who are already in Hersheypark. And I am being really generous there. But by itself, this zoo can be skipped, as it is clearly not worth the admission price.

I would give this zoo 1 and 1/2 stars.
zoo entrance
Southern Swamps building
eastern diamondback rattlesnake
eastern indigo snake
jethanad says:
unfortunately, there are too many such tourist traps out there, thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Posted on: Jul 13, 2016