Zippel Bay State Park

Check Williams Hotel Deals

Zippel Bay State Park Williams Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Hidden gem in northern Minnesota May 27, 2015
Zippel Bay state park is located in northern Minnesota on Lake of the Woods. The park has 4 campgrounds with 57 sites total, but all are rustic. No electricity, water/sewer hookups, or even flush toilets. They do have a shower building with 3 shower stalls. Obviously, this campground is not for everyone. There can be a line for showers.

I love camping here, and this is the second time I've stayed here. Both times, I've stayed in the Ladyslipper campground, which is the smaller, lower, and wetter of the 4 campgrounds. It only has 11 sites, so it is quieter. It is also the closest to the lake, where it feels like you have your own private beach (it is really a carry-in boat access).

Our site was soggy, but most of them were. They had recently installed new campfire rings. The other campground loops were mostly full when we arrived. Many of those sites are larger, meant for RVs, trailers, or larger tenting parties. Some of them were wooded, but some were pretty open. All campground loops have 1 or 2 vault toilets. Last time I camped here, there was a bear reported in the campground. Not so this time. Either way, we didn't see much for wildlife.

Perhaps the best part of our campsite was the nature. Our site was next to a little swampy area, which unfortunately gave us a little more mosquitoes. But, the birds were amazing! The woods were full of birds chirping, all morning, all day. Many different types. It was beautiful to listen to. I have never heard such wonderful birdsongs. (Probably not ideal if you like to sleep in). Also, the campsite smelled wonderful! It was a sweet, delicious smell of some plants that I don't know. So even though our site was soggy and had mosquitoes, we loved it!

The park also has a nice swimming beach, boat launch, fish cleaning house, and hiking trails. The park is about 20 minutes from Baudette, where there are some restaurants, gas stations and a grocery store.
Zippel Bay sign