ZhenDing Chicken

No.127 Middle Yanji Road, Shanghai, China
ZhenDing Chicken - The sign 'Zhen Ding Chicken'
ZhenDing Chicken - ZhenDing Chicken, with dipping sauces

ZhenDing Chicken Shanghai Reviews

spicyricecake spicyric…
Unique Shanghai Fast Food Aug 09, 2011
One night, my cousin took me to ZhenDing Chicken, a Shanghai specialty. It's considered fast food, but it's a sit-down restaurant where your order is taken by wait staff.

Although they have other things on the menu, everyone pretty much goes there for their Zhen Ding Chicken, marinated to perfection. People order by (jin) of chicken, which is equivalent to a Chinese pound. I'm not sure how much we ordered, but it turned out to be a medium sized plate pile, to share amongst us three people, which turned out to be perfect size. It comes with a small bowl of hot seasoning, and a small bowl of vinegar/soy sauce to dip the chicken in. You can dip both at the same time, or one at a time, depending on your choice of flavor.

We also ordered a bowl of chicken blood soup. Basically, it's pieces of dry chicken blood in chicken soup. It's not as disgusting as it sounds, but it wasn't all that great either. You could distinctly taste the blood, and people actually eat the pieces of chicken blood as they would liver, which is what it reminded me of.

The price was reasonable; for us three, it was less than 50 yuan, and that's including the chicken blood soup and chicken noodle soup my cousin ordered. If you go to Shanghai and you want to try a unique specialty, definitely try the Zhen Ding Chicken.
ZhenDing Chicken, with dipping sau…
The sign "Zhen Ding Chicken"
Africancrab says:
I should like to try the Zhen Ding Chicken too, sounds delicious indeed! Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: May 05, 2012