Zemaljski Muzej Bosne i Hercegovine

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Zemaljski Muzej Bosne i Hercegovine Sarajevo Reviews

Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
Zemaljski Muzej Bosne I Hercegovine ( National Museum) Jul 08, 2010
Had picked up on here from tour guide the day before. The main reason for coming was to see the Sarajevo Haggadah, one of the oldest Jewish books in existance.

Reasonable, but pleasant walk,out along but the river, though from the Old Town you can get any tram.

Cost 5KM (€2-50) to get in. Doesn't look much from the outside, but that hides the fact that it consists of 4 seperate buildings, with a courtyard in the middle. Outside though,and in the inner courtyard, you do notice the Bogomil Stechaks. Strange gravestones from an early 'protestant' sect that seemed to have some 'mother earth stuff' going on,as they kind of worshipped god, but things as well.

On going in we headed right and into a mix of Greek and Roman architecure and sculptures, which was fair enough, nothing great.

Upstairs was a collection of jewllery, and almost hidden in one corner up here is the Sarajevo Haggadah. Long tale of it originating in Spain, and the Jews being expelled, before ending up in Sarajevo via Italy.

What had drawn our attention to this was the tour guide telling us it had been housed in the Old City Hall and National Library during the siege. When the library had been shelled and went on fire,people risked their lives to try and save what they could from the flames, amongst them the Haggadah. Even then they still came unser sniper attck and 8 people were killed that night as they tried to save priceless cultural treasures.

The Haggadah now is in a sealed off room,paid for by the UN, in the museum which is both fire proof and bomb proof. Digital interactive screen that lets you go through all the pages of the book.

we then went out into the courtyard and went to the building on the left. Here on the ground floor were a collction of childrens games and toys. We ended up leaving our two down there as they were allowed to play with them and found something that interested them.

Upstairs were a succession of rooms depicting a traditional Bosnian house,albeit wealthy, and with models depicting various scenes of life during those times.

The building at the far end, had a collection of rocks, gems and stuffed animals to be found in Bosnia. To be honest my limited time span for being stuck in the one place had passed by then and I just rattled through it.

On my own I could have got round the bits that caught my attention in about an hour, as once I've seen it I don't tend to spend ages looking at it from every angle. People into different stuff may take longer, but still a load of good stuff to see, and the Haggadah makes it definate must, even if that's all you go in for.
Front Of The National Museum
Top Of Wing Of National Museum
Greek/Roman Bit In Museum
huibdos says:
Yes, the Balkan produces more history than we can consume:)
Posted on: Aug 25, 2010
Chokk says:
There are so much stuff to look at in this region
Posted on: Aug 24, 2010