Zappeion, Athens, Greece

Zappeion Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
Great Building ! Jan 02, 2012
History :

The Zappeion structure, built in 1874-78 by Hemophilia von Hansen, was funded by the Greco-Rumanian cousins Zappas as an exhibition hall. It was remodeled in 1959-60.

There is a nice marble statue of Pan to the left of the entrance. In the center is a statue of Varvakis, founder of a high school. There are various events connected with worldwide trade that take place from time to time within and around the Zappeion. It also is used for international conferences. Because of these events and conferences, the Zappeion may not always be open for a visit. Even more, when a meeting of the European heads of State takes place in the Zappeion, you will have a hard time even getting close.

The greenery around the Zappeion, known as Parilissia, was planted in 1886 and took its name from the Illissos river. The former riverbed now is the Vassileos Konstantinou Avenue.

Helpful Links :

What around : Zappeion Garden (National Garden), Temple of Olympian Zeus , Panathinaikon Stadium , Syntagma , Greek Parliament .

How to go : Very close to Syntagma square (300meters) , Metro Syntagma station

Opening hours and tickets : Daylight . Ticket , most of the times free but maybe have an exhibition and have ticket entrance .

Nice building with great architecture ! If you are lucky maybe will see a nice culture exhibition :)

The photos are mixed from different visits from 2009-2011 !

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :). Thanks for reading !
Johnpro says:
No one knows Brian :) The ancient Greeks had very strange names , which became from the our old religion of 12Gods ! Some Greeks stay to believe to them and giving strange names to them kids but never hear Hemophilia :) Sounds Greek but maybe is roman name because this architecture looks like to be from central Europe :) Thank you for your comment !
Posted on: Feb 09, 2012
spocklogic says:
It must suck to have a name like Hemophilia, but I don't know, and maybe back then it was a good name.
Posted on: Feb 09, 2012