Zanzibar Cafe

Utila, Honduras
Zanzibar Cafe - Open Baleada with eggs and bacon
Zanzibar Cafe - Closed one :)
Zanzibar Cafe - Zanzibar Cafe, Utila
Zanzibar Cafe - Rustic, termite-eaten windows...
Zanzibar Cafe - Rustic, termite-eaten windows...

Zanzibar Cafe Utila Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Must do... Jan 04, 2012
After commenting on other people posts, I actually wanted to say more about this staple food called Baleada.

What are BALEADAS?

It is local fast food, found mostly in Honduras. It is almost like a soft taco, but much larger than normal tacos and done a bit differently. Usually there are two sizes, normal size, and when they are over-sized it called SUPER. You can find them on many stands all over the island of Utila, but the best stand has the lady across the bank, and she also has the best pastelitos with chicken and beef.

Zanzibar Restaurant is very very very very relaxed place and that includes relaxed service :). I found that place in the everyday search for a good place to eat breakfast (they are also great for lunch, especially if you like fish dishes), actually there is only one street in Utila, called Main Street, and almost all restaurants are located there. Anyway, I stumbled upon the few wooden stairs and got on the veranda, and since then I have been going there every time I can.

I do not know how to stress the size of this monsters, but I usually take one baleada (breakfast I usually eat after two dives, which means that I am really hungry), some smoothie with milk and any fruit they have on the shelf and the cup of good old local coffee. That is it, after one, I am relaxing till dinner… Baleada is made from the scratch, and lady first makes pancake of flower and water, and after that spreads layer of black bean paste, adds some onion and then she places different ingredients that you order. My favorites are baleadas with egg, avocado and chicken, but I do not have any problem with veggie, fish, or any egg breakfast baleada that includes crispy bacon… You can expect your drinks pretty fast, but lady in the kitchen is the SLOWEST cook I ever met heheh. It never bothered me, and it never will because we are on very slow island and time here does not tick in the same way as everywhere else. I came to learn that if someone is making food for you, you should not make them do it faster, but in their own pace. That way I am sure that cook is making it the way they do it for themselves.

Smoothies are fresh and always good, and my favorite is mellon with water or mango with some pineapple and milk.

I also had very good lunch with large piece of tuna fish and excellent potatoes as a side dish.

Lady and her daughter are the only two working in the place, but their cousins have mini market next to the restaurant. Great thing about that is that you can order anything you want to drink or to eat, and they simply go to the store and get what they need.

Prices can be compared like this:

1$ = 19 lempira

Coffie – 10 (I prefer coffee in Costa Rica or Guatemala, but for Honduras this coffee is pretty good)

Baleadas - 30-50 (depending of the ingredients)

Smoothies – 35
Zanzibar Cafe, Utila
Rustic, termite-eaten windows... …
Open Baleada with eggs and bacon
Closed one :)
spocklogic says:
Will have to try to make me one of these sometime - Bravo for Baleadas!
Posted on: Jan 04, 2012
Yoshu Yoshu
May 09, 2007
We had pancakes here one day and the basic breakfast (eggs, beans, rice) another, but without a doubt the hands down best pineapple smoothie that I have ever consumed. If you want something big, refreshing and delicious hit up Zanzibar for a smoothie. After that first smoothie day though every time that we went by it seemed to be closed so we could never try it again and there were no hours of business posted anywhere. I guess that´s how life works sometimes.
andrejav says:
On such a small island, you get to know every place in few weeks. After a month your taste buds are taking you to the best places!!
Zanzibar is THE BEST place on the island for BALEADAS. Menu includes egg, egg-bacon, chicken, avocado, and meet beleadas. Only setback is that if you dont have time to wait 30-45min for simplest thing, do not even sit there. They work on slowest island time :)
Posted on: Mar 13, 2011