Zaalig

www.zaalig.com - 010 426 0575

Zaalig Schiedam Reviews

planxty planxty
What a tremendouly friendly place. Apr 04, 2017
As I have written in the main part of the blog that this is hopefully attached to, I had somehow ended up in the delightful little town of Schiedam when I thought I could get a train direct to my final destination of Leiden from the ferryport but apparently not so. We were transported to the train station here but planxty had nothing to do and all day to do it and so I took off round a town I had never even heard of before despite having been to the Netherlands many times.

After a pleasant stop in one charming bar my wandering eye was next attracted by the bar / restaurant Zalig which was very evidently open despite the relatively early hour as there were a number of people sitting outside in the sunshine although it was still a bit chilly for me. In I wandered still lugging my little suitcase and computer rucksack and noticed there was nobody else in the place bar the staff. Apparently the Dutch like freezing themselves!

A quick pleasantry or two with the young lady behind the bar who obviously put me to shame with her command of English as all Dutch people do when I can speak about six words of Dutch. I enquired if beer was being sold at this hour and was told that it abolutely was. I asked for her suggestion of something not too strong as I had a long day ahead but not something like Heineken (which is brewed just up the road) as I don't like those international megabrands usually. I don't remember what it was know but I knew that it came from a good selection of specialist brews.

Next news is that the chef appears and busies herself around the immaculate open kitchen. Well, that was me like a pig in muck as I love cooking, it is just the eating bit I am not so good at. I could watch cooking programmes all day and have been known to. Again, chef obviously spoke perfect English and seemed quite happy to chat away whilst she was "rattling those pots and pans".

At one point she started baking bread and the smell was driving me mad as I was going out for dinner that night and did not want to eat. It would seem that the food changes regularly here as evidenced by the blackboard style and there is definitely a daily special on. The food I saw coming across the pass looked beautiful and smelt delicious.

Before I knew it almost three hours had passed and whilst I had a bit of time to spare I did not want to leave it too late and so I bade a regretful farewell to these young ladies as well as the charming waitress who was running about and can only give Zalig the highest recommendation, brilliant place.
Paulovic says:
Congrats on being featured today! Well done!
HORSCHECK says:
Fergy, congrats on your featured review. Well done.
planxty says:
Have you never heard me talking about the planxty "nose"? I have friends who swear I can sniff out alcohol at 600 yards through concrete!

Check Schiedam Hotel Deals