Youth Hostel Dubrovnik

Check Dubrovnik Hotel Deals

Youth Hostel Dubrovnik Reviews

tombom07 tombom07
Best Value in Dubrovnik for Backpackers Aug 11, 2016
Youth Hostel Dubrovnik is part of the YHA so if you're not a member they'll sign you up on arrival. Honestly, I can't remember if there was a small fee or not but once you have six stamps (you get one for every night you stay somewhere that's part of the YHA) you get a night free somewhere.

It is located about a 20-25 minute walk from the Old Town, and very near bus routes so it is very accessible. There are some grocery shops, takeaways and restaurants nearby.

It took a while for me to be checked in as it was late and there was only one (friendly) girl on reception and she was busy sorting out three other girls with something. I made my way up to my 4-bed-dorm. It was quite dark in the corridor so I had to find a light switch to be able to find my room, I guess this is an energy saving method.

The room, ensuite bathroom and the hostel in general was very clean. I can't really fault it. There are also communal bathrooms/showers, that were also very clean. Every time I tried to shower in the ensuite bathroom the water was freezing cold, but my dorm mate managed to get some hot water for a while. I also showered in the warmer communal showers, so I think it's just very temperamental.

Shortly after my arrival the reception girl brought me my bedding so I had to make up my top-bunk bed. My pillow was very flat, which was a let down. Pillows are important! The room was quite small but there was plenty of space for four people. Wardrobes and drawers are in the rooms but they don't have locks. Unfortunately, there was no air conditioning or even a room fan so on an evening it was a bit difficult trying to sleep due to the humidity. It could also be noisy on the street outside the room at times. Another area where there's room for improvement is power sockets: There weren't enough in the room.

If you are the last person to leave your dorm then you must leave your room key at reception as there is only one key per room.

A free breakfast is served every morning in the canteen for one hour. Breads (but no toaster), spreads, cereal, milk, juice, tea and coffee are all provided. It is nothing special as far as European continental breakfasts normally go in my experience, but it's a good bonus and adds to the value of the hostel.

Free wifi is available throughout the hostel too, although it was not very reliable.

For the price I paid in high season, I thought that my stay was good value for money and it was definitely a nice bonus to have breakfast included. If you're a backpacker on a budget looking to scrimp and save, and you're not too fussy about comfort then this is the place for you.

I stayed in a couple of other hostels in Dubrovnik that were a bit more expensive and a little further out, but at the same time much nicer, more social and of a higher standard. They will be linked through my Croatia blog too if you want to check them out.
4-bed-dorm in Youth Hostel Dubrovn…
4-bed-dorm ensuite bathroom in You…
Canteen in Youth Hostel Dubrovnik …

Check Dubrovnik Hotel Deals