Young Person RailCard

London, England

Young Person RailCard London Reviews

petit_gooroo petit_go…
Feb 02, 2007
If you are between 16 and 25 or a student and you plan to travel by train through United Kingdom, the Young Person Railcard could be useful. It takes off 1/3 of the price of most rail fares after 10AM, during week ends and bank and summer holidays. It costs 20£ and you can use it for one year.

Note that, unfortunately, the card does not work with Eurostar.

You can buy the card on Internet (http://www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk) or at the stations (even in the airports).

You need:

- to complete the application form

- to provide a proof of age

- a photo

- a proof that you are student (the best is an International Student Identity Card)

- 20 £

In my opinion, travelling by train is not the cheapest transport in UK, but it can be easier sometimes, and also faster. On the other hand, for most of my visits, I choose to go by car.

First, because I feel more free (no timetable to look at!) but it also appeared to be cheaper most of the time when I traveled with someone else (I have only been in southern England so far). Even if the petrol is expensive (and it is not good for ecology…), all the motorways I took were free of charge, not too busy (except once…) and pleasant. It is easy to park in towns (I haven’t try it in London) with the “park and ride” which is not too expensive if you spend the entire day there.

I bought a young person railcard because I take the train to go to London. I needed around 4 returns to save the price of the card.

Check London Hotel Deals