"You have a lucky face" scam in Hong Kong

Hong Kong

"You have a lucky face" scam in Hong Kong Reviews

kevinhongkong kevinhon…
"You have a lucky face" scam in Hong Kong Dec 18, 2011
Like my fake monk advice, this falls under the "beware of anyone who takes special interest in you as a traveler."

In Hong Kong, specially in the TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) area of Kowloon (especially along the harbourfront), there are Indian men who roam around looking for travelers. Usually they work in groups (break off individually), but I did see one alone once.

They will come up to you and say something like "You have a lucky face." I am unsure what their whole scam is - as I tell them to get lost so don't know what the subsequent steps are.

Needless to say (perhaps), don't talk to these guys - they are obvious scam artists. Walk away from them - if they persist, be more firm.

In this case, I have seen both White people and Chinese (namely from Mainland) approached....so every traveler needs to take some care.
kevinhongkong says:
Wow, I knew they were organized, but to infiltrate a trade show and bother so many people is more than I thought. :P Everyone is a target certainly, although when I see them they go white or mainland - - I am pretty sure that they speak good Cantonese and Putonghua/Mandarin.
Posted on: Dec 19, 2011
Lotus28 says:
I've met one at the convention centre in Wanchai. It was in the middle of business tradeshow so I wasn't really sure what he was trying to do!

I look really like Hong Kong local (everytime I visit China/Taiwai, I am always taken for a woman from HK) but I was talked to anyway, so everyone is their target I guess.
Posted on: Dec 19, 2011