Yosemite National Park

Yosemite National Park, California

Yosemite National Park Reviews

Besandri Besandri
Great scenery Too many people May 27, 2014
I arrived just after mid day after traveling from Mono a Hot Springs. I mention that as in the camp grounds at Mono there were about 6 camp sites being used out of perhaps 100 total

So my arrival at Yosemite was a bit of a shock to the system. I did not really mind that all the campsites were full, I just kept on driving out of Yosemite.

The scenery was magnificent and I would go back, but I would want to have booked a site and perhaps pick a time when it was not so crowded
Africancrab says:
Yes I must agree the place gets crowded, but then it is the same with many National Parks in the United States. We were surprised by the beauty of it all. Glad you visited it though. Our next trip perhaps will take us to the Great Tetons in Wyoming, I hear it is quite the destination too :)
Africancrab Africanc…
Nature at its best May 10, 2013
My family and I, just returned from a wonderful trip to Yosemite. Nothing prepared me for what I saw, the words I put down are not descriptive enough for the wonder, beauty and majesty of the park. We spent time doing the touristy things like go to the visitor center to get information on places to go and what to see first.

Day one saw us hike Mariposa Grove where the giant sequoia trees are.

Day two; we went to Glacier point, hiked a little over a mile down and then drove to the valley floor. The tunnel took us to Tunnel view, then to Bridalveil fall, El Capitan and the Village market.

Day three; We returned to the valley and hiked to Yosemite falls. The falls is majestic and powerful, the wind blowing caused sprays from the falls, which was exciting, felt like the start of rain fall.

Tioga pass is the icing on the cake for Yosemite. We left the park on day four through highway 120 which is the pass. The views along the way takes you to another place altogether.
Africancrab says:
Brian, thanks for the comment, yes Yosemite gets busy right from when they open it to when they close it due to change in weather. Most National Parks in the US are just as busy, off the beaten path places are where you would find isolation. I'm glad you went there, it is magical indeed and we plan to return there sometime
Besandri says:
Looks like we have just done a similar trip. I will have to read yours more carefully now.
Your profile pic is great, you look so happy. I have already read your profile earlier today and now I see your review just when I have completed my review of Yosemite. To me the place was magic, just too many people. I like isolated areas :)
Posted on: Aug 29, 2014
camwilde camwilde
Yosemite National Park Feb 27, 2013
My family and I went to Yosemite National Park at the end of March 2010. Sadly, we came unprepared and our trip was shortened from 3 days to a day and a night.

The first day was gorgeous ... sunny and decent temperature. We arrived mid-afternoon and had enough time to visit Yosemite falls, roam around the shops, eat, and settle in for the night.

We stayed in Curry Village Cabins which are a bunch of tent cabins. There isn't much other than wood and canvas, so when the temperature took a nose dive that night, we got really cold. Due to lack of preparation, it was an uncomfortable night.

The next day, there was snow and cold temperatures as a result. We therefore decided to take a tour and saw the sites with low visibility. It did wet my appetite for more though.

I definitely need to return to this amazing location when it is warmer and I am better prepared.
Yosemite Falls on a sunny day late…
Yosemite Scenery late March 2010 w…
Yosemite Scenery late March 2010 w…
Africancrab says:
We are planning a return trip, it is beautiful out there
camwilde says:
We need to go back! We had to leave early and there is so much more to see.
Posted on: Feb 27, 2013
elenastep5 says:
It is my dream to visit Yosemite N.P. Some day, some day...:)
Posted on: Feb 27, 2013
yasuyo yasuyo
The mother nature of earth,Yosemite N.P. Jul 22, 2012
I've visited there in 1999. Since that day,I really love to visit National Park especially in USA. Because I was fascinated by the scenic beauty of the spot also learned to keep the nature as I heard that we can't bring back even a fallen leaf,also we can't left except our foot prints.

I'm living in small country in Japan so didn't imagine how huge called the "Park" also never thought how to keep such the great outdoors.

We joined the tour from San Francisco with Japanese tour guide. His nick name is "Kuma-san" meaning Mr. bear. The identity of a thing is to be found in its name. Kuma-san looking a big guy and he seems love to nature well also familire with local people,he taught us how we must try to keep nature also we only visited a tiny part of Yosemite today,say,we visited only the thumb of your hand. It enough to know what a huge National Park it is.

So I know that will back to there to see other part of Yosemite!

I'll try to scan photos of there from film.
TSXSquirrelygirlie TSXSquir…
Just one of the thousands of awesome things in California! Aug 07, 2011
I grew up going to this park, I love it. I even went to the middle school and high school trips just to go here. So when my friend and I did a cross country road trip I knew the perfect place to end the trip. In Yosemite to camp and hike around for a few days before heading to the city.

Yosemite is like no other state park. Yes, Yellowstone is pretty but there is just something about Yosemite that is breathtakingly beautiful. It even has something for everyone, which is why it's annoyingly busy in the summer months. I recommend going on any off months or right before peak season. The falls are best in the spring. Tioga pass is closed in the winter (which is awesome) so I'd say spring/fall best time to go without crowds. Otherwise go in the summer for the best weather and to get the most out of your visit.

As for what to see, there is the key sites...Yosemite Falls, Bridalveil falls, El Capitan, Half Dome, Glacier Point and so much more. For those that like to rock climb or hike this park has it all. I remember it was a big deal to hike up to Yosemite Falls in middle school. You have to be in somewhat moderate shape to do that hike. There are easier and more difficult hikes. I remember one in high school that still haunts me to this day...I couldn't walk for 3 days after.

Anyways, there are hotels, campgrounds and cabins to sleep in. The hotels are very nice, like the Ahwahnee. If you opt to not stay there at least stop in to check it out and have lunch or something. Camping is pretty normal. You just cannot keep food in your car, tent, RV or anyplace other than your bear lockers. Bears do and will roam the grounds at night and will get your food if it's not locked up. They will get into your car if they see it or smell it. They will go into your tent and break into your RV for it. These bears do not care. So please just lock your food up. If you are an overnight hiker you are required to keep your food in bear resistant canisters.

I honestly could go on about this place. There is just that much to do but I will stop here. This review has become a novel. My recommendation is to spend at least a good 3 days here. There is so much to see and do. You can do all of the key sites in 1 full day but if you want to hike and really enjoy yourself I say 3.
TSXSquirrelygirlie says:
Thanks. :)I was quite surprised to come home from Orlando so see it was a feature.
Posted on: Aug 16, 2011
aelder2259 says:
I haven't been to Yosemite, but it's on my list.
Posted on: Aug 14, 2011
vulindlela says:
Congrats on your feature!!
Posted on: Aug 14, 2011
rabrown rabrown
#5 - Yosemite National Park Aug 09, 2011
A few years earlier, prior to being 21, and this would have more then likely been 1 or 2 on this list. Unrivaled in beauty, hiking for all expertise and gigantic, Yosemite has placed itself in my heart forever. Winter, Fall, Spring and Summer are all worth going in whether it to see the trees change colors, to go hiking, to see the snow covered meadows or to Yosemite falls at full blast, go! Yosemite falls is a must see as is El Capitan, Bridelveil(?) falls. Half-Dome is quite a special sight as it was cut by a glacier rather specifically, nature at its finest. I have hiked Half-Dome, it is quite difficult but worth it. I would not recommend it for someone who is not in great shape, as there are moments where you will be mentally and physically challenged. google and image and then, you will understand all of this.
Unbelievable Jun 06, 2011
Went here just last April and it was amazing. Waterfalls were flowing. Deer were roaming. Unfortunately the ground was still full of snow and I didn't dress warmly enough for the night. Be prepared. But I would still say this is one trip for the memories. Its unbelievable there. Definitely recommend for any outdoor person
morricci morricci
Hikers, Nature Lovers, Photography... Mar 15, 2011
If you love Nature, Waterfalls, Camping, and Photography, Yosemite is definitely the place to go! Cheap ($20 parking pass upon entrance into the park) plus what ever food you like to bring, everything else is FREE.
gr8guy gr8guy
The Splendor of Yosemite Aug 01, 2009
Yosemite National Park, the very words conjure in my mind Gods ultimate artistry in the United States. Although there are many places across the US and the rest of the world that can take ones breath away, this one piece of wilderness is my American Shambhala. Yosemite (Yoh-sem-i-tee) is best known for its waterfalls, but within its nearly 1,200 square miles, you can find deep glacial scoured valleys, grand meadows, 2000 year old giant sequoias, flowing rivers and streams and much more.

In the summer when most visitors come to this part of Northern California, the park can be quite crowded so the serenity you may be seeking could be overpowered by the sounds of cars, busses and thousands upon thousands of park visitors. I recommend visiting the park anytime in the year except between late May and mid September. Although that is a fine time to visit weather wise, the lack of parking, long lines for restaurants and the general congestion can really detract form the grander of the scenery. The BEST time to visit in my humble opinion is that story book time (see winter images) of late fall to late winter (October to March). It is a time of peace, tranquility and the sense of magnificence that will overwhelm your senses. There is a solitude but also a warm companionship of anyone you meet because of experiencing the park in a way few others have had the opportunity. There are still good accommodations and some are reasonable (Curry Village will rent you a soft-sided heated cabin for only $25.oo a night) and located right on the valley floor. If you choose the Spring, there are plenty of animals including Bears, deer and much more.

If you are ever in California and you have a few days, it is well worth the visit. It is roughly 4 hours from Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Thanks again for reading.
A quaint little country chuck on t…
Yosemite Valley in Winter
Yosemite Valley in Summer
a spring season Brown Bear cub
Quest says:
I just HAVE to go here... I'd love to see it all seasons, but I don't really like crowds and especially not on a place that should bring you peace.. :O)
Posted on: Aug 02, 2009
runnofun runnofun
Hetch Hecthy Sep 10, 2009
It's a pretty cool area and normally thaws out before the rest of the park. The Lake has two far size waterfalls on it. If you want to get out of the main valley and all the people it's a good choice.

Here is something from a travel site-

Hetch Hetchy Reservoir is the longstanding answer to the question, "What's the most outrageous thing you can get away with in a national park?" Observers who saw the Hetch Hetchy Valley in its original state thought it resembled a smaller mirror image of Yosemite Valley, but after an act of Congress in 1913, the dam was built and the valley disappeared. It's been replaced by a giant tub, complete with bathtub ring, and the steep walls make it inaccessible except for the single trail along the Wapama Falls side.

Reading this page hasn't been a complete waste of your time, though. The top 1,400 (yes, 1,400) feet of Wapama Falls remain visible above the reservoir and well worth visiting, and the Big Oak Flat area, which we've lumped with Hetch Hetchy for convenience, boasts its own grove of Giant Sequoias.

At under 4,000 feet (1,200 meters) in elevation, Hetch Hetchy is the lowest part of Yosemite, and consequently we think it's best for winter and spring visits, before the weather gets too hot. The Merced Grove, at 6,000 feet (1,800 meters), is pleasant all summer long.
X_Drive X_Drive
Jul 26, 2006
Since 1890 Yosemite has been one of the premier National Parks in the United States, with its spectacular mountain scenery in the Sierra Nevada range, and a grand collection of waterfalls, meadows and of course giant sequoia trees.

The Tioga Pass, which is closed is the winter months, makes you feel like you are on the top of the world as you make your way over the summit.

The valley floor is where most visitors spend their time, with the very high cliffs and the views of several large waterfalls.

Other highpoints include Wawona's history center and historic hotel; the Mariposa Grove, which contains hundreds of ancient giant sequoias; Glacier Point's (summer-fall) spectacular view of Yosemite Valley and the high country; Tuolumne Meadows.
X_Drive says:
I'd love to have some of those shooms that Dorothy ate here in my area. Oops, what am I saying. :) Besides, tornados are like earthquakes, nothing to worry about until it happens in your own front yard. So pick your front yard very well!
Posted on: Aug 17, 2006
travelman727 says:
It must be wonderful having this park in your backyard! I have Dorothy, Toto and tornados...
Posted on: Aug 17, 2006

Compare Yosemite Village Hotel Rates (4.4km away)

Yosemite National Park Map