Yosemite Bug Mountain Resort

Check Midpines Hotel Deals

Yosemite Bug Mountain Resort Midpines Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
No bugs at the Bug Hostel Mar 19, 2013
I had actually decided not to go up to the mountains in Yosemite since I figured it would be too cold. But when I stayed in San Francisco I talked to somebody who had just been up in the mountain and he said it had been ok up there and I should stay at the Yosemite Bug Hostel. So when I decided to go and have a look at the park I stayed at the Bug Hostel in Midpines – which is actually quite a bit away from Yosemite National Park itself.

The hostel is right at the road which leads to Yosemite National Park so the location is pretty good – that is if you got a car. It should be possible to get here by bus and then get a local bus to take you to the valley in Yosemite but I am not sure how frequent the buses is so once again this is a hostel which is only really useful if you got your own transport. Without a car you will be kind of stuck in the middle of nowhere.

It’s a pretty big place with both private cabins and dorms and the facilities are pretty high – especially when you visit outside the busy season like I did. They are a member of HI but they don’t have the old fashion idea of you having to do choirs as part of the rent – I guess this is due to some sort of risk of liability in case somebody ends up doing damage to themselves during cleaning.

There is a restaurant on location where I had my dinner during my stay. They serve a decent meal and you can buy beer on tap at the bar if you like. When I sat down I started talking to somebody from the local neighborhood that came in to have a drink and dinner. I guess this restaurant was the cheapest (and possible best) option in Midpines – I don’t think there are too many restaurants to choose from in Midpines. We had a few beers and started talking – then we decided to go to his car to listen to music. He was a bit of the stereotype of what many Europeans would consider a true hillbilly – driving a bit Ford V10 pickup truck with a confederate battle flag covering the seat and a shotgun behind the seat – loaded naturally but for safety reason the safety was on.

We were talking and having a few beers in the car and then I shocked him with my very European style – telling him I hadn’t been in the army so I had never ever in my life fired a gun. This is came as a big shock for him so he decided to go down the hill so I could fire a gun at the sky – at which state I realized he was more drunk than I and he somehow got lost when he reach the main road – until I said we better head up the road again. We had a few more beers before it was time to call it the night – I think the bar closed. Now he wanted to go home (drive) not a good idea which I tried to convince him about without much success. Considering there was a hostel right next to him it was pretty stupid to be driving. But he insisted and when he tried to put the car in reverse he hit drive instead and went into the fence in front of the bar. By now the people at the hostel tried to reason with him – no success. And they just let him drive home. A bit of different attitude from Europe. They said he would be ok and anyways one of the local would have a look out for him when he drove home at the same road. Very reassuring right.
vances says:
Quite an adventure. Glad you survived...really could have had an ugly finish! sounds like you didn't fire the gun?
Posted on: Mar 19, 2013
DaniTheTraveler DaniTheT…
One of a kind Aug 10, 2011
I stayed in this hotels as part of my trip to USA Southwest (California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona) with four friends.

This place belongs to Hosteling International and is placed close to the west exit of Yosemite N.P. and a few miles before reaching Mariposa. It looks like a boyscout camp as it’s in the middle of the forest and with the river at hand.

There’s a great variety of accommodation possibilities from backpackers tents to private ensuite cabins.Everybody will fell like being at home in this relaxed atmosphere.

There is a Lodge where breakfast and meals can be ordered and a kitchen where food can be cooked and also stored on several fridges. WiFi is free on both the Lodge and kitchen.

A Health Spa is also available.

Staff is very kind and they also offer transportation and tours.

Our room, a private bath cabin with 1 queen-bed and 2 twins (30EUR per night) , was very comfortable and spacious. The decoration was very peculiar as the furniture was old-style like and there were several paintings on the walls.

It’s a really nice place to enjoy Yosemite N.P. with out staying inside the park boundaries where prices are more expensive. Also being near Mariposa give you the possibility to go there to have dinner or to buy some items at the supermarket.

Check Midpines Hotel Deals