Yorkshire Dales

Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Yorkshire Dales Reviews

davidx davidx
YD1 Avoiding confusion Oct 30, 2010
The YD1 in the title is based on my intention to create a number of reviews about the Yorkshire Dales, of which this is necessarily the first.

A dale is a steep sided river valley and hence usually a named dale does not cover the full length of the river after which it is named but a (usually) highly scenic section.

Yorkshire has two National Parks, both of which include numerous dales. To the west of the county lies what is actually called The Yorkshire Dales National Park, while further east is the North York Moors National Park. From the little I have seeen of the latter, it well deserves the sort of treatment I am planning to give here, but I have not enough knowledge of the area to include it.

However I am not covering the exact area of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. I have never understood why the river Nidd was omitted for the National Park so it is added onto the Park to provide the area of coverage.

Beauty is not always logical so I am including Dentdale, which is in the Park but no longer in Yorkshire.

Related Travel Blogs About Yorkshire Dales

The Yorkshire Dales and not so secret spy systems!
People i met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia), Mum and Dad (England) In my opinion, the Yorkshire Dales are one of the most under rated tourist attractions in …Yorkshire Dales are one of the most under rated tourist attractions in England. If you have your…
Ashes Test Match - England vs Australia and a look around the Yorkshire Dales
People i met here who contributed to, and improved my trip: Julia (Russia) Having visited Elland Road the previous day, i decided to treat Julia to another traditional English sport on Sunday, crick…that we now had time to go and visit the Yorkshire Dales for the afternoon, so all was not lost! …
Home farm camping
It is a bit wet today and we stick mainly to motorways to get us up near York.  Hit many big traffic jams on these motorways so there is miles of just sitting and crawling along.  Near the …Yorkshire Dales and James Herriott country, All Creatures Great and Small.  Through Grinton, Reeth and along the river…

Compare York Hotel Rates (0.6km away)

Yorkshire Map