York Place Bed and Breakfast Edinburgh

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals

York Place Bed and Breakfast Edinburgh Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Not for people who don't like stairs Jun 15, 2011
In Edinburgh I had booked myself in at York Place B&B, which was situated as central as possible in the new part of the city. After I had booked the place I received a mail that the reception would close at 10 pm and if I came later I would get a surcharge of 10 pounds or almost 11 euro. I wrote back that I would do what I could but my plane was scheduled to land at 9.05 pm so it should be possible for me to make it before 10 pm.

I arrived as scheduled and I managed to rent a car and park it just in front of the hotel, so I rang the bell on the door 3 minutes to 10 pm. I was quite pleased with my time of arrival but no one answered the door. I waited some minutes until two American girls arrived and said that there ad been no one in the reception all day. They told me to get in and wait but preferred to stay outside.

There was a number on the door and I called it and had a long discussion with a woman who just said that everything was closed at 10pm. She gave me her husband and we discussed a lot before I found out that I had called a wrong number – I just could not help myself but I laughed a lot. I found the right number and a woman arrived from a hotel across the street and locked me in to the hotel.

The hotel was an old street house with floor levels that were extremely high; I had not seen anything like this for years. From ground level to the first floor there were probably close to 6 meter. They were about to renovate the interior, especially on the ground floor and the basement and due to this there was no reception or breakfast in the hotel. The woman was nice and I asked where I could get some later dinner; and she recommended an Italian restaurant where they served dinner until 3 am.

There was no elevator in the building and the walk up with my entire luggage was therefore quite a walk because my room was on the second floor and it was as the same height as 3rd or even a 4th floor. There had not been mentioned any of this in the advertisement for the hotel and must say that both elderly and people with minor walking disabilities should take another hotel than this.

The room was great, it was huge and with a nice old feel to it. There was a huge bed as the centerpiece of the room; there was also a huge old sofa with colourful pillows that looked like it was taken of a Scottish castle added with Moroccan colours. There was a table in the room too. The finish was not the best but the room had so much space with both the square meters but also the height that they were forgiven. The bathroom was working but it was nothing special.

The price of the room was fair and the check-out procedure was fairly easy because I just had to drop the key in the mailbox before leaving.
The bed
The room
The bathroom
The room
EOAY says:
Thanks for the recommendation Chokk!
Posted on: Mar 04, 2013
Chokk says:
They had redone the whole house and only lacked to ground floor and basement now. I can only agree on you comment on how helpful they all are in general - it is truly a pleasure
Posted on: Jul 03, 2011
groovybob says:
I,m sure I stayed in this place a few yrs back. The kitchen was in operation then and the food was great. It did have a strange musty smell to it as do many b+bs in Scotland...but the people were great and went out of the way to help when asked.
Posted on: Jul 03, 2011

York Place Bed and Breakfast Edinburgh Overview

The York Place B&B is located in Edinburgh making it one of the best hotels to stay at while in town. The York Place B&B boasts a convenient location with modern amenities in every guestroom and superb service. Each guestroom is fully equipped with non smoking rooms, hair dryer, internet access, ironing board, television. This Edinburgh accommodation contains all of the facilities and conveniences you would expect from a hotel in its class. The hotel provides a warm and welcoming service of international standard. Make your reservation at the York Place B&B Edinburgh now by selecting your chosen dates of stay and submitting our secure online booking form.

York Place Bed and Breakfast Amenities