Yoma Hotel

yangoon, Myanmar
Yoma Hotel  - the bed

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

Yoma Hotel yangoon Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Yoma Hotel Feb 27, 2013
I found this nice little hotel on the way to Sule Pagoda in Yangon, so I just entered the building and ask the receptionist if there is room available for next time I am back to Yangon and also to check the price of the room itself. The receptionist is really friendly and welcoming, speaks good English and the room itself cost usd 15 for single person including breakfast. The price was in 2010 when Myanmar is still a bit restricted for foreign and not many tourist around the country. Now 2013, the price is usd 50 for single or double room with breakfast.

The hotel building is fifth or sixth storey high with modern glass looking from outside and bright light at night time, within easy walking distance to Sule Pagoda (probably around 10 to 15 minutes walk from hotel). My room located on third floor without elevator in the hotel, but the bellboy is handy and quick to carry my suitcase to the room.

The room is spacious with comfortable twin bed, two sofas and table, dresser, old but working television – unfortunately no good channel there (mostly local channel only and I do not understand the language they speak), air condition, tea and coffee making facilities inside the room, en suite bathroom with half wall in between the shower and toilet to separate it. However the windows in the bathroom are facing the hallway and usually I closed the windows so nobody from outside able to see inside, and the wall underneath the shower area cover with mold. There is shower curtain to cover the shower and the toilet but I did not dare to use it and usually just have shower as it is. Luckily the drain working well and I did not make much mass or flood around the toilet and hand basin area. Hot and cold water pressure wok well. The air condition also work well and cooling the room especially in the heat of Myanmar summer.

Usually breakfast serve inside the room which consists of simple fried egg, toast and banana and juice, but I need to call the receptionist to request it every morning. Tea and coffee is available in the room. I am not sure if the hotel has a breakfast room as I always have it in my room.

Opposite the hotel many small restaurants selling local and authentic Myanmar food like barbeque fish (fresh fish to choose from the display) and you have to wait for it to cook and Myanmar hot pot noodles. It was very cheap, cost two to three dollars for fish, vegetable and hot pot noodles.

I like this hotel as receptionist help me a lot when I had trouble with immigration as I had overstayed my 28 days visa in the country and the immigration staff requested to held my passport and onward ticket out from Myanmar and the hotel write a letter to the government and act as my guarantor during my stay in Myanmar.
the bed
gingerbatik says:
thanks for the comments, yes this hotel is very simple and getting expensive now but the staff is very friendly and looking after the guests well.
Posted on: Feb 28, 2013
christine4321 says:
Over staying your Visa must have been a stressful experience for you.

Thank you for writing the review!
Posted on: Feb 27, 2013
Cho says:
Wow! USD50 now for this simple room? But I believe it! However, there are two hotels with the same name, Yoma Hotel in the city and Yangon Yoma Hotel near the airport. I would prefer to stay in the one downtown (where you stayed).
Posted on: Feb 27, 2013

Compare Singer Island Hotel Rates (<1km away)

yangoon Map