Yodogawa Fireworks

Yodogawa Fireworks - Yodogawa Fireworks 2011

Yodogawa Fireworks Osaka Reviews

ellechic ellechic
Awesome summer fireworks! Aug 06, 2011
Summer in Japan means festivals (matsuri) and fireworks (hanabi). Held every year since 1989 on the first Saturday of August, Yodogawa Fireworks is one of the biggest firewoks display in Osaka.

Over 400,00 people watch the fireworks along the Shin-Yodagawa river in their summer yukata and jimbei. The fireworks starts just before 8pm and last almost an hour.

Tickets are sold for special seats, otherwise, it's free! Most people make it into a picnic event so bring your waterproof blankets (the grass tends to be very moist as its by the river and if there's rain).

I was invited by my local Osaka friends and I was glad I came despite my busy sightseeing schedule.

I met my friend at the JR Tsukamoto Station, which was packed! Thankfully, I easily found my friend despite the slow moving rate to get out of the station. We stopped by at a nearby supermarket, which again was packed with people buying food to bring with them to the fireworks, and met up with the rest of my friend's friends.

They were in their yukata and in my friend's case, his jimbei. Hahaha...(Jimbei is usually worn by kids, as yukata are for adults, Kimono are for more formal occasion.)

A friend of mine offered me her yukata to wear but I didn't think I'd have the time to pick it up and change before the fireworks... It would've been a great experience wearing a yukata again in Japan.

It was great fun just hanging out with old and new friends. And it was such a local thing to do!

Tip:

- wear a yukata to the fireworks display to get the whole experience!; you can rent or buy a set for 6000-4000yen (~US$40-60) - also a good souvenir for yourself

- get a waterproof-based blanket in case of the ground being moist/wet.

- get there early to get a good spot and stock up on food and drinks as the food vendors tends to be very crowded with long wait.

- portable potty is usually available but has long lines.
Yodogawa Fireworks 2011