Yellow Ribbon Hotel

159-A, Yangon, Myanmar
Yellow Ribbon Hotel - Small TV and refrigerator
Yellow Ribbon Hotel - My room
Yellow Ribbon Hotel - View of hotel from the street
Yellow Ribbon Hotel - Another shot of the hotel taken from street.
Yellow Ribbon Hotel - Looking out my room window. You can see the Shwedagon pagoda in the distance
Yellow Ribbon Hotel - Another view of my room
Yellow Ribbon Hotel - Me at the hotel entrance

Check Yangon Hotel Deals

Yellow Ribbon Hotel Yangon Reviews

Cho Cho
Small hotel in a good location Jun 25, 2013
In 2009 I traveled twice to my hometown of Yangon in Myanmar, once in March, and again in June. On my first trip I stayed at the Winner Inn (review already published on TB). I was intending to stay at the Winner Inn again but it was full that time, so my buddy who lives in Yangon suggested we look for another hotel nearby. In those days I never had to make reservations for hotel rooms as Myanmar was not a popular tourist destination yet. On every trip I always 'walked in' straight from the airport to any hotel in town, and got myself a room without any problems. Well, I fear those good old days are over!

Anyway, back to June 2009; a five minute drive from the Winner Inn took us to a small hotel called Yellow Ribbon. Don't ask me why it is named 'Yellow Ribbon,' but the rate of $15 a night with breakfast was good enough for me so I checked in. It is a 3 storey building without an elevator, but luckily I was given a room on the second floor, so climbing up the stairs wasn't that much of an ordeal for me, haha!

My room itself was quite comfortable with two beds (the rate was for either single or double occupancy), air conditioned with attached bathroom, and the usual anemities...refrigerator and TV. I could even see the majestic Shwedagon pagoda at a distance from my room window! The location is also ideal as it is on a main road with several restaurants within walking distance, and downtown Yangon a 15 minute taxi ride away.

I will mention here that I don't like to stay in downtown hotels in Yangon as nearly all of my relatives and old friends there live in the suburbs and it's convenient for me to visit them or vice versa, if I stay at a hotel which is approximately halfway between central Yangon and the suburbs. Such is the location of Yellow Ribbon and several other hotels in this vicinity.

During the time I stayed at the Yellow Ribbon Hotel I was given a choice of Western or traditional Burmese breakfast. When I checked in, the desk clerk asked me what time I would like to have my breakfast. The question seemed a bit strange to me, but I found out later the reason why he asked me. Every morning at 7, he or the staff on duty would call me and ask what I wanted for breakfast, and around 20 minutes later it was brought to my room! I never even saw the dining room all the time I stayed at this hotel.

On my subsequent trips to Yangon, I was told that this hotel became a residence for the players of a local soccer club. The last I heard, it has now been converted back to a full fleged hotel, here again because of the present booming tourist business for hoteliers and guest house owners.
View of hotel from the street
Me at the hotel entrance
My room