Ye Shanghai

2376 3322

Ye Shanghai Hong Kong Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Disapointing Diner Feb 02, 2015
This restaurant has two Michelin award and was recommended by lonely planet guide book.

We were excited to dine at this place and has booked and place an order long before we arrive in Hong Kong.

We were half an hour late from our dinner appointment and ring the restaurant in advanced to notify that we will come a bit late.

When we arrive, the staff led us to the seclusive place and we have the whole place for ourselves before the next people come over. And then the staff open the partition door which divided our room and the next room. The restaurant itself quite huge and noisy with people talking and eating.

Since we already order our main course which is the whole Peking duck, we just order the other stuff to accompany the main course.

Not long after the food arrive quickly. The entrée of bean curd with one thousand year eggs was okay, however the chef diced the one thousand year eggs and we could not taste much of it. Personally it was not my favourite food and I do not like that much, however I would like if it just cut as slices so still can taste the food.

The next entrée is the jelly fish. This used to be my favourite food. Unfortunately, the food serve here is not the best and it was awful actually. The jelly fish was a bit tough and not much taste on it. The mayonnaise sauce which supposed accompany the jelly fish was bad and just taste sour. I was really disappointed with this food.

Finally, the Peking duck arrive. I actually waiting for the show of cutting the duck skin demonstrate by the chef.

Unfortunately the skin arrive on the place without any show, and accompany with pancake, hoisin sauce, cucumber and spring onions. The taste was good, the skin was crispy and the sauce was as good as I can remember it.

Next, the duck meat with beansprout arrived. I was surprised since I could not see the meat on it. It was purely lots of vegetables and just little meat on it. So, where is my whole Peking duck meat???

I do not want to make a scene and just pretend to ignore it but I was not happy at this stage.

The fried rice was good, very tasty and delicious. Unfortunately the Chinese vegetables with dry bean curd was un-ediable. It was the most awful food I ever eat. I could definitely cook better than this and Peking duck is my speciality.

Overall – I was very disappointed with this restaurant and it was expensive compare with other restaurant in Hong Kong but still cheap compare with Michelin restaurant in Copenhagen.

I would say do not go to this place if you are in Hong Kong.
the cabbage pickle _ the restauran…
chilli
inside restaurant
bean curd with one thousand year e…
gingerbatik says:
@trippin_jen: the price wasn't that bad, just over HK1K but some of the food wasn't good.
Posted on: Mar 11, 2015
trippin_jen says:
I've been craving for peking duck lately! Yeah, usually restaurants bring you the whole duck and slice it next to your table. Ok, the fried rice looks yummy... The rest of it were just normal. I hope you didn't pay a lot for what you've ordered?
Anyway the egg is called century egg.
Posted on: Mar 10, 2015
cotton_foam says:
I looked at the photos, and even the food presentation is not as nice as the usual gourmet 6-entry (or so) kind of dining...
Posted on: Mar 10, 2015