Yaxha

Located between Flores and the Belize boarder., Yaxha, Guatemala

Yaxha Reviews

sabrinatritze sabrinat…
Sunset Tour to Yaxha Sep 07, 2012
I visited Flores last week and I stayed in a very nice room in the Café Archeológico Yaxha. There I found out that they also offer tours to the Mayan side Yaxha.

Advantage of booking the Tour in the Café is that the tour is led by an archaeologist who is deep into the matter of Mayan culture.

The trip to Yaxha itself was really interesting because I met people from all over the world and with different nationalities.

It took us about 4 hours to walk around in the whole National park and to climb up to different palaces, ruins and Miradors.

I found it really pleasant, because Yaxha is a very quiet place with fewer tourists than Tikal. So you can enjoy the vividness of the rainforest with its howler monkeys, the birds and all the crickets.

To me the most interesting spot was the ball court. Originally you only see two walls that face each other but our guide told us to imagine a ring on both walls each. Aim of the game is to put a ball into those rings, but it’s forbidden to use your hands and feet. You have to play with your elbows, shoulders or thighs.

The highlight of the trip was the sunset that we watched from temple 216.You have an amazing view over the whole rainforest and the two lakes Yaxha and Sacnab.

As the sun went down it was amazing to see the different colors of the sun combined with a suddenly appeared relaxing still of the rainforest

Altogether it was a wonderful trip and I would recommend everyone to visit Yaxha.
geokid geokid
Yaxhá Oct 02, 2009
Yaxhá, "blue green waters", is a Maya site that sits between two large lakes located between Flores and the boarder of Belize. A climb to the top of Yaxhá tallest pyramid temple platforms with provide a view of The Rio Azul feeding into both the lakes. Yaxhá was occupied from 600 BC to 900 AD, and contains numerous monumental structures of several architectural styles. Yaxhá is famous for the organized sacbe system. There is also a significant collection of stelae with Teotihuacan influences. There is a Teotihuacan style to several of the structures and stelae. There are several complexes of building excavated and consolidated. A must see is the North Acropolis. The Plaza of the North Acropolis contains three tall temples, a climb to the top any one of these will provide grand views of the surrounding rain forest and lakes. Find the Plaza of the Shadows or the Astronomical Plaza to explore examples of the Mayan stellar observatories. Spider and Howler monkeys inhabit this site. Swimming is permitted in Lake Yaxhá. Yaxhá, was the location for Survivor Guatemala.

Related Travel Blogs About Yaxha

Yaxha A Day Trip Out Of Martha's Guest House San Ignacio, Belize
Yaxha, "blue green waters", is a Maya site that sits between two large lakes located between Flores and the boarder of Belize. A climb to the top of Yaxha tallest pyramid temple platforms with provid…Yaxha tallest pyramid temple platforms with provide a view of The Rio Azul feeding into both the lakes. Yaxha
Onwards and westwards...
Flores, Guatemala We Left San Ignacio on Saturday morning heading for the small town of Flores, Guatemala. It took us only 20 minutes to reach the boarder between Belize and Guatemala and after payi…Yaxha one of the more less know ruins in Guatemala. It only cost us an extra $10 to get to the ruins…
The Mighty Tikal
I was struggling to wake up when there was a knock at the door at 4:50am. I couldn't believe they were actually early! By the time we got to the bus, we got one of the last seats left, too. The sun h…Yaxha , which was not just a cafe, it was a Mayan restaurant and sustainable ecotourism center for surrounding archeological…
Yaxha Map