Yasukuni Shrine

Tokyo, Japan

Yasukuni Shrine Tokyo Reviews

Airportman Airportm…
Shinto shrine in Tokyo Sep 25, 2008
This shinto shrine was built and dedicated to the spirits of those who fought and died for the Emperor of Japan.

This shrine is not without controversy, as japanese WW2 criminals are also enshrined and remembered there, which angers neighbouring countries to Japan, like China and South Korea. The shrine has been visited in the past by japanese prime ministers and this caused anger in the 2 neighbouring countries.

Despite its reputation, I decided to visit it and I must say that the shrine is worth a visit. The entrance is free.

Depending on your entrance point, the place isn't so big. There is a long path towards the shrine, where you walk by a water monument and the statue of Omura Masujiro.

The shrine itself and the complex it's on, seems large on a map, but is covered in a few minutes. Next to the Main Hall (Haiden) is the Sacred Pond Garden (Shinchi Teien).

There are also several war statues and a war museum, called Yushukan. It costs 800 yen (around 7 euros or 10 US dollars) for an adult ticket. On 2 floors you can see various displays and artifacts about the wars Japan were in. I didn't go in, as it was close to closing time for the museum.
Irei no Izumi (SAoul-comforting Sp…
Shinmon (Main Gate)
Haiden (Main Hall)
Service taking place

Related Travel Blogs About Yasukuni Shrine

Day 2: Visiting the Imperial Palace and the Yasukuni Shrine
After I got out of the Sony Building, I walked around some more. I saw a long line of people across the street. I wondered why they were standing there, and as I walked closer I noticed that H&a…Yasukuni Shrine and museum. It's located in the Chiyoda area.  It took me longer then I had expected, but I reached the shrine before it closed. The shrine

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals