Yanar Dag

Yanar Dag - Eric talks with some of the local kids about the teahouse

Yanar Dag Baku Reviews

mickeyd302 mickeyd3…
An Eternal Flame? Yanar Dag May 25, 2008
In 1958, seeping subterranean gases were accidentally caught on fire and continued to burn day and night. Fifty years later and the fire still burns.

When Eric and I headed out to Yanar Dag, I had Metallica's Jump in the Fire and the Bangles' "Eternal Flame" playing in my head. Needless to say my head is a weird place to be. Still, i was looking forward to seeing this place. Our driver missed where it was but turning around we soon found it. It is not clearly marked. Most guide books talk about how the eternally burning flames are behind the Yanar Dag Tea House, but the tea house is no longer open. Actually it looks like the teahouse might have caught on fire ironically.

Upon first seeing the flames, there is a truly surreal feeling. There are just these flames burning on a side of a hill. They are not spreading they merely are. in fact these flames have been on the Earth longer than I have.

On the other hand, I had to resist the urge to do my best Beavis imitation and start screaming, "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!"

There are some steps to side that allow for a decent view of the surrounding Absheron Peninsula. I would like to return here in the late evening sometime as i think that it would be a little freaky with the quiet surroundings and also when it is raining.

While Yanar Dag is not a reason in and of itself to visit Azerbaijan, if you are already here it is worth the short trip from Baku to visit it if you are exploring Absheron.
The tea house
rideouts says:
How short of a trip is it from Baku? Might stop by there while I am here...
Posted on: Sep 22, 2008
Kenul says:
Yeah those flames definitely look better at night :)
Posted on: Jul 27, 2008
Scott_Toscano says:
Dude, good job representingg the 'Baijan. Keep the blogs coming.
Posted on: Jun 12, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Yanar Dag

world travels
Countries, cities and other places of interest I've been to:Belarus: Minsk, Vitebsk, Polatsk, Ruzhany, Hrodzyenskaya voblast, Silichi, Slonim, Khatyn, Mir, NesvizhRussia: Stavropol, Tuapse, mount Elb…Baku, Yanar Dag Germany (2011): Berlin Italy (2011): Venice, Verona, Bologna, Milan, Genoa Poland (2011): Lodz Holland (2011): Amsterdam, The Hagu…

Check Baku Hotel Deals