Yamatoya Honten

Check Osaka Hotel Deals

Yamatoya Honten Osaka Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Yamatoya Honten hotel Jul 16, 2009
I was going to a meet-up in Osaka - and I had no idea where this place was. So when I got the information about the location of the starting point for the meet-up I started searching for a hotel nearby. I had no idea about how local my location would be. From the hotel it was only a short and easy walk to the meet-up and I didn’t run much of a risk of getting lost on this short walk. Furthermore it turned out the meet-up started at a bridge next to Doutonbori Street which is sort of the heart of Osaka. So the location of Yamatoya Honten Hotel turned out to be a pretty central location.

There is a pretty good description on the webpage of how to get to the hotel. Basically I just had to take the Sennichimae Line Subway to Nippombashi and take exit 6. When staying at hotels in the bigger cities in Japan I always appreciated this kind of precise information since I was terrified about taking a wrong subway exit which would insure I would get hopelessly lost within 30 seconds. I had checked several maps with the locations of a couple of small shops like 7-11 and K-mart so I had some pointers to help me find the way to the hotel. It turned out it was pretty easy to find and I got to the hotel after a quick walk.

I got a room on a high floor with a bit of a view. It is furnished in traditional Japanese fashion - meaning no bed just a futon with the bed linen and a blanket. It isn’t out when I arrive at the hotel around midday but I left the key in the reception and when I got back after the meet-up the futon had miraculous appeared and was ready for bed. They also provided a bottle of hot water for green tea placed on the small table which like other places in Japan was just a low table and you would be sitting on a pillow on the floor to have the tea.

There was a small room next to the actual bedroom - which had a couple of chairs which looked like something you could find at a station waiting area. It smelled a bit of smoke out there so I supposed I could guess what other guest used this room for. There was also a bathroom with bath in the room. I am pretty sure they had a communal bath down in the basement but I didn’t use it and just used the shower in the room.

I was pretty happy with the service and price when I stayed during the meet-up so when I decided to spend another night in Osaka after getting back from Kyushu I figured I would just stay at the same location since I found it much easier just to get to a place I knew instead of trying to go and find something else somewhere in the center of the city.
The bed