YHA York

Check York Hotel Deals

YHA York Reviews

Vikram Vikram
May 22, 2006
I've had a good track record with YHAs wherever I've travelled so I was expecting high quality stuff from this YHA as well. The reviews were very good for this one so I felt justified in my expectations!

I spent two nights here. Tobegin with, getting to the hostel from the railway station is not as easy as the YHA York website says it is! But the people @ the station were friendly and explained to me how to get to it, and once Igot a feel of the city, it was no great shakes.

The walk to the hostel is beautiful. It's about 15 minutes or so and you walk by a river. Do not take the riverside walk if you've got heavy luggage! Take a cab instead.

The hostel is gorgeous! It's this mansion converted into a guest house with easy directions to the reception. It's very well guarded too! The staff at the reception are by far the friendliest and most intelligent YHA staff I've seen. I'm so used to seeing Europeans handle the frontdesk of YHAs, these Europeans who only arrived in the UK a week ago and many a time have no clue about the town themselves! But here, the staff seemed to know every house on every street!

The rooms are very clean. I stayed in a6 bunker bed room. Each bed has a night lamp as well. The only two things I hated about the room are the rather sporadic distribution of power points as well as the lock not working. But the room was so spacious, lovely curtain style window and high ceiling.

Breakfast is great- usual buffet style. The dining room is also great, much better than YHA Manchester. They have an internet connection, a pub, lots of great travel brochures, excellent luggage room for after checkout storage, really....I cannot find anything to complain about this hostel. It's self contained.

I'd highly recommend this hostel for anyone staying in York. It's a lovely city, and a lovlier hostel!
Front view of the hostel
My dorm room
YHA entrance
Vikram says:
Thanks for letting me know, and hope my review was useful!
Posted on: Oct 15, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About YHA York

walking tours of York
It was standing room only on the train to York.  Upon arrival, I discovered the YHA was off the map, so I ended up at the cheaper and more central York Youth Hotel, where I met two New Zealander…York.   Upon arrival, I discovered the YHA was off the map, so I ended up at the cheaper…

Check York Hotel Deals