YHA Manchester

YHA Manchester Rates and Deals

YHA Manchester Reviews

curious_claire curious_…
YHA always deliver on standard Mar 25, 2015
6 weeks ago I stayed at my first YHA hostel and i was so impressed with it that when I needed a place to stay in Manchester, I knew I needed to stay at YHA again.

The location of the hostel is great. They are just around the corner from Deansgate station and next door to to the Museum of Science and Industry. Plus they are just a short walk from the city centre. Perfect! I was very happy with this location.

I must admit, I was a little disappointed with my greeting, especially after the one I got in Cambridge. Normally when you arrive at any hostel you expect to be asked if you've been to the city before and offered tips on how to enjoy your stay. This was not the case today. But maybe i've just been spoiled and I should be grateful he was at least polite.

The room i was very impressed with. The rooms were clean, the beds had individual lights, but I was disappointed they didn't have individual plug sockets like the Cambridge hostel. The room had 4 decent sized lockers. Although, there was a bit of a mix up and I got processed as a boy! But I didn't notice at first as the room was empty so I just put my stuff in my locker and went out. Then when I returned there were 2 guys in my room. We all stared at each other confused. So I had to go back to reception to get a new room sorted. The girls were really helpful and apologised for the mix up. The only downside was that as I was last in the room I got stuck with the top bunk and didn't get a locker as this room only had 2.

The kitchen was a decent size and appeared to have everything you would need. I didn't actually use it so I can't comment on it too much.

The socials areas here were good. There's a nice lounge with a TV, couches and there was also a games room with pool table. And as well as this in the front they have a bar / cafe with plenty of seats. I didn't actually eat in this one but you get the choice to add breakfast for only £4.99

I didn't realise when I booked the hostel that the dorms had en suites. I hadn't stayed in a hostel dorm with it's own shower since my first ever solo trip. Sadly the shower was really bad. At first you couldn't get any pressure past number 3 (1 was the coldest, 9 was the hottest). You actually had to wait ages to get any pressure at 6!

But for me the biggest downside to this hostel for me was that because it was along the water, there were birds making a lot of noise early in the morning.

Overall i was really impressed with my stay here but because of the noise from the wildlife I probably wouldn't be able to stay here again. So unless you're a light sleeper like me, you will enjoy your stay here
Outside
So you know you're in the right pl…
First impressions were good
Reception
hanleyscot says:
That sucks about the locker situation. There should be at least one for each bed.
Posted on: May 03, 2015
Isabelle_G Isabelle…
Clean and affordable hostel May 05, 2012
Clean hostel and good location too... better than I thought anyway... 5' walk from Deansgate train station and 10-15' walk to the center. The hostel was nice and very clean, with comfy beds and good bedsheets, ensuite bathroom and big lockers. Nice area by the canals on a dead end street. I had booked a 6 bed dorm but got upgraded to a 4 bed one upon arrival for no extra costs. Staff was nice and helpful too, just the hostel is quite big and I didn't meet anyone except the roommates. The place remained quiet at night despite the groups of teenagers that were staying at the hostel. Just everything costs extra money (internet, breakfast, ...) but there are a few shops around that are open until late and where you can find everything you need. Tip: if coming from Manchester airport - just make sure you catch a train that actually stops at Deansgate. Single ticket around 3,6£.

And the hostel didn't charge me extra money for not being part of the YHA network, which I thought was fair. YHA members get their discount when booking on the YHA official website.
4 bed dorm
Ensuite bathroom
evertonforever2 evertonf…
Aug 22, 2011
YHA Mancester is clean, cheap and friendly. Located among the picturesque canal system on the downtown cores west side this is a great affordable place to stay at close to the D/T core.

EF Certified!
allie87 allie87
Great Accomodations Dec 05, 2010
I love this Manchester hostel. It's a little out of the city centre but still a very nice place to stay.
Vikram Vikram
May 18, 2006
This hostel comes highly recommended. Rather thanwriting one big paragraph on my experience (which I've done already in my travelogue), I'll give a laundry list of plusses and minuses. I've tried to be as descriptive as possible so I do hope it's useful for those independent travellers and backpackers planning on visiting Manchester.

PLUSSES:1. Great staff: they're all surprisingly English and very well seasoned, and know the city well unlike London hostels which employ Europeans that themselves arrived in the UK a few weeks/months ago and don't know the area very well to recommend sightseeing spots or pubs.2. Helpful staff: I had problems with the shower in my room. They said they'd take a look at it "in a few minutes" and guess what? They did! It's another thing that there was a problem and I was moved to another room.3. Clean rooms with bedlights, max I believe is 4 beds per room.4. Ensuite bathrooms5. Excellent UNLIMITED breakfast. This includes choice of cheese, bread, bangers, scrambled eggs, toast + jam, baked beans, three types of cereal, yoghurt, fruit juice and coffee.6. Lovely breakfast area that doubles up as a quiet room to eat your own stuff or just sit and read a book7. Lifts! Unlike other hostels where I've had to carry my luggage up a narrow bit of stairs8. Excellent security: card controlled entry for rooms, and 24 hour vigilant staff9. Dinner available too! For a good price you can get non-veg and veg entrees, you just have to order before 8pm10. Variety of wines on sale @ the reception, as long as you don't drink in your room

MINUSES:1. Dirty kitchen: The fridge doesn't work. Something was wrong with the door in that it wasn't closing properly, so they had a stool blocking the fridge so that the door doesn't come out. Fridge was also dirty. Dirty and lack of utensils, dirty microwave, it's not a hostel made for those planning on cooking a feast. It's ideal just to warm up things in the micro.2. The crowd: most were school kids when I was there. And the others were continental Europeans that didn't know English. Unlike London hostels, this isn't a place I'd come back to to have a conversation with anyone. I was pretty much on my own.3. The location: even though it's in the heart of the city (Castlefield) you get the feeling it's a bit desolate. Probably has to do with the fact that it's not in a commercial area with stores or pubs. It's next to a stream and seems far away from civilisation. Whilst I'm told the area was safe, I'd prefer getting into the hostel before sunset (which thankfully was before 10pm). Also I'm one of those types that gets influenced by media and I had heard about racist attacks slightly higher in Manchester compared to the rest of the UK so I didn't want to push it (me being Indian) by wandering on my own late at night. Let's also not forget that I'd always have my passport, iPod and digi camera with me all the time.4. Shopping location: Fairly close to the railway station and the shopping strip (Deansgate). But for some reason, even closer seemed far here compared to other hostels I've stayed in.
YHA entrance
Breakfast room

Related Travel Blogs About YHA Manchester

..And It Begins
Manchester, UKMy three week long trip from Manchester UK, to Amsterdam began here. I flew from Ottawa to Manchester with Delta/KLM which was stange for me as I normally fly Air Canada. But I must say…YHA Manchester. The YHA hostels in England are my prefered hostels when traveling in the UK. they are inexpensive…
History rich Jorvik!
Today I'm headed to YORK! This was a city that I was s'posed to stop over last year as part of my Haggis tour but I loved Edinburgh so much that I decided to spend an extra day there instead and…Manchester YHA. Bar, playroom for kids, kitchen, breakfast and 6 bed rooms with lovely curtain windows overlooking either side…

Check YHA Rates and Deals