YHA Berunes

Berufjörður, Djupivogur, Iceland

Check Djupivogur Hotel Deals

YHA Berunes Djupivogur Reviews

Vikram Vikram
The benchmark of Icelandic hostels (Iceland itself is a benchmark of hostels!) Sep 04, 2012
Throughout my week's stay in Iceland save for 1 night, I stayed in YHA hostels and overall, each one has set the standard higher in terms of value for money, security and convenience. But when I look back years from now on my travels, not just on my Iceland trip but on ALL my trips to every single country, the YHA Berunes stands out as one of the best (if not the best) hostels ever.

I don't know where to start, because every facet is worth mentioning.

1) Location - located on the other side of the horse shoe from Djupivogur along the coast, this hostel is located in a farmland. Set behind a fantastic mountain range, overlooking the fjords,the ocean and Djupivogur at a distance, the scenery alone is worth the money. There are hiking trails for the active, or one can just stand outside, stare at the landscape and MARVEL.

2) Cost - I paid the equivalent of 25 US$ which is dead cheap for the quality it offers.

3) Kitchen and bathroom - incredible - the kitchen is cosy, as is the dining area. It looks like 1 big booth at a resnt so the residents are forced to eat dinner together and socialise. And that worked so well. The bathrooms were clean and incredible (although I don't know why icelandic bathrooms don't have windows or a ventilation switch).

4) Amenities - free internet + computer in the main building. The wireless signal wasn't too strong in ours. The owner is very knowledgeable, friendly and warm. He runs the little rsnt (and bar) in the main building although the drinks were expensive so I didn't dare.

So what didn't work? Well if I really have to be nitpicky, then I would say the beds. The top one in the bunker. The frame is kind of flat (with no protector panel) so I always had this phobia that I'd fall off!

But overall, and going back to Location, it's just a brilliant experience. You feel you're in the middle of nowhere, yet you feel you're 'connected'. I had one of the best nights in Iceland here! And all this for just 25$!!

The thing to note though is that this hostel isn't open all year round.
View of the hostel as you enter th…
Our building
The main building
This was the view at sunset. What'…
pretty_girl says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Posted on: Sep 29, 2012
Dr_Seuss says:
Congrats on the feature Vikram :)
Posted on: Sep 22, 2012
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review!:D
Posted on: Sep 22, 2012