YHA Ambleside

Lake District, England
0845 371 9620
YHA Ambleside - The YHA Ambleside behind me as I set sail on Lake Windermere
YHA Ambleside - The view, or part of it.
YHA Ambleside - The breakfast room.
YHA Ambleside - A large hostel with lots of history.
YHA Ambleside - Reception/lounge area.
YHA Ambleside - The beds!

YHA Ambleside Rates and Deals

YHA Ambleside Lake District Reviews

natloulan natloulan
Overall well worth the money Jun 17, 2012
I stayed in this hostel just last week when i did the 21 mile windermere row.

I stayed for 2 nights a Friday and a Saturday. To say it was a weekend and was a big busy event, I never felt cramped in any way.

I shared a 6 bunk dorm with 4 of my friends, so was pretty cool.

Toilets and showers just next door. The showers are warm and powerful which is important when you are cold after doing a 21 mile row.

I took advantage of the breakfast on the 1st morning, which was £5 all you can eat. Warm/Cold drinks, Continental and full breakfast.

Staff were friendly, view was amazing facing the lake andAmblesidee village 10 mins up the road.

I would stay here again.!
Real_PeaceWarrior Real_Pea…
Great value on the edge of Lake Windermere May 13, 2009
After a long walk with a large pack I was extremely grateful to see the signpost for this Youth Hostel on the outskirts of Ambleside. The location is a little bit of a mixed bag as it is a ten minute walk from the town, but it is right on the side of Lake Windermere, with fantastic views of the Lake and the surrounding hills. It is also ideally located for a boat trip around the Lake as the jetties for these are less than thirty metres from the front door. There is also a wide range of facilities close by, with restaurants, coffee shops and ice cream parlours all within stone throwing distance of even the smallest child!

Check-in is relatively painless and quick, I was required to fill in a short form, listen to a quick brief on the facilities of the hostel and that was that. I seem to be very lucky with receptionists, I was again moved to a room on my own, bonus. It was a great room, which had about twelve empty beds and a view across the lake from the window, another bonus! There is folded and wrapped bedding on the bed which for those who have not stayed at a Youth Hostel before requires you to make your own bed. The dirty bedding is then dropped off at reception in the morning before check-out.

Toilets and showers are separate, but that is usual in most hostels, there are plenty of them, a couple of them for every few rooms and I only had to wait once for the ‘little boy’s room’. The other facilities are pretty good with various communal areas. There is a bar and restaurant both of which were fairly reasonable, although both closed a bit early especially the bar, which closed at 10.30pm, this was a bit of a let-down. There are a couple of internet terminals and wireless access is available, but was not any less expensive than availability elsewhere, and in fact there were at least a couple of places in the town where free wireless access was available. The main lounge area is quite large with television, although I am not sure if this included satellite as I did not come to watch the ‘box’.

There is also a washing facility, I did not make use of this but I think you hand in your washing and collect the next day, obviously there is a charge for this service. There are a number of foreign accents to be heard within the staff and this gives the hostel a more ‘cosmopolitan’ feel, the friendly receptionist was eastern European and the barman is antipodean, so cool, that they are an equal opportunities employer. Reception is manned twenty four hours.

Breakfast is ‘included’ for a small extra charge, and is served between 8.00 and 9.30am, but was not the most appetising and next time I will opt for breakfast in the town where there are many slightly more expensive but much tastier options. There is plenty of space though and maybe it was because it was a weekday but there were not many people enjoying breakfast when I was giving the muesli a try. You receive a coupon at reception when you check-in and this is handed in the next day, there is a choice of full English or continental style breakfast.

Check-out is by 10.00am, but a later check-out can be booked for a small charge, though the time is dependent on whether you have a shared or private room. There is also a left luggage room where you can leave your bags for a few hours after checking-out whilst ‘checking-out’ the town. The room is locked and access is arranged through reception.

The hostel is great value, with friendly and helpful staff. The location is superb for a view of the lake and not too inconvenient for the town and well worth that walk for the proximity to the lake. Try it for yourself next time you are visiting the Lake District, and maybe I will bump into you there and we can enjoy a coffee together.
A large hostel with lots of histor…
Reception/lounge area.
The beds!
The breakfast room.
Real_PeaceWarrior says:
Yeah I hear where you're coming from, but I chatted with several of the staff a few times, they were open and friendly and seemed very happy to chat a bit. When I thought I'd lost my watch somewhere, they seemed genuinely concerned and I was asked at least four or five times if it had turned up by a couple of the staff. It is large by normal standards, and not exactly cosy and quaint, but I found it very hospitable.
Posted on: Jun 03, 2009
Vikram says:
Yeah, I agree with everything you wrote except that compared to other hostels I've stayed in, I found this one really large and "unfriendly". Unfriendly as in, the staff were very helpful and all, but in other YHAs, they've been small enough where you can settle in for a chat with someone. This seemed too commercial and "wide scale".
Posted on: Jun 03, 2009
Vikram Vikram
Commercial, yet comfortable and picturesque! Oct 17, 2008
I stayed for 2 nights in this hostel and I am very pleased. I can't say I was surprised because I knew what I was getting into, as early as 2005 itself. I had spent a night in Ambleside in another terrible backpacker place - but during the process, I had seen this place and thought "wow, I must stay at this place". So I'm glad I finally did, about 3 years later.

PROS: Great great location. And I don't just mean that it's on Lake Windermere and you always get a good view of the lake - the trees, the mountains, etc. But I also mean it's close to the bus stop and it's right next to the Windermere ferry stop. The rooms are clean, toilets and bathrooms clean, and the hostels are safe. The rooms are quite spacious, you never feel you're cramped for space. The b'fast - on the house is quite filling (although not as good as London YHAs), and the BEST part is the staff. So damn friendly and so helpful. They would have tons of people waiting to ask them questions but they would patiently help each one with advice on where to go for hikes, etc.

CONS: The hostel is quite far off from the city centre. About 10 minutes away. So if you're thinking of buying grocery then be prepared for a long walk. Next, it's too big for a hostel - it's too impersonal with tons of people, I never got to meet anyone and socialise in the hall, so to speak as I have in other YHAs (most notably, Earl's Court). Finally I thought it was a bit pricey all things considered. The kitchens are a bit dirty, the number of utensils are always less and the ground floor always seems noisy and filled with people in clusters, it never felt peaceful. They need to have more computers and move them away from the lounge.

OVERALL RATING: I'll give this a 4.5/5. The cons I wrote about were just me being picky. I'm very happy overall and would come back here in a heartbeat.
The YHA Ambleside behind me as I s…

Check YHA Ambleside Rates and Deals