Xia Qu Crawfish City

Xia Qu Crawfish City - Liang Fen with Cucumber slices
Xia Qu Crawfish City - Crawfish in pepper seasoning
Xia Qu Crawfish City - Liang Fen, or cold rice powder, with cucumber slices
Xia Qu Crawfish City - Tin of crawfish in pepper seasoning
Xia Qu Crawfish City - Xia Qu; as I wasn't able to get a picture of the location from the outside, I took one of the chopstick wrapper

Xia Qu Crawfish City Shanghai Reviews

spicyricecake spicyric…
Delicious seasonal crawfish in many flavors Aug 13, 2011
As I had never had crawfish before, my cousin and his friend took me to a restaurant known for their delicious crawfish one afternoon. He explained that crawfish is a seasonal food in Shanghai, more popular during the summertime because of the location of Shanghai in proximity to water and the easiness of getting the fat crawfish. The restaurant we went to, Xia Qu, is located on the second floor of a building, with the first floor being another restaurant.

Since I've never had crawfish, I decided to go with whatever my cousin ordered me. We decided to go with a steamer of crawfish, cooked with pepper seasoning and spices and garnished with celery. The taste was pretty strong, which is great because it brings out the flavor of the crawfish with pepper.

There were also many other flavors and seasonings for crawfish. Besides crawfish, there were other seafood, such as shrimp, lobster, crabs, mussels, etc. The restaurant also offered other vegetable dishes. You can also choose portions; we chose one steamer to share amongst the three of us, and that was the perfect size for us.

The restaurant provides you with gloves and wet wipes to use, so you don't get grease all over your hands. I found that crawfish is not really too different to eat from lobsters, just smaller. However, cooked with the different seasoning made the taste very different. It's really easy to eat, as the shells were cooked long enough that you can bite through them and suck the meat out if you can't peel it with your hands.

My cousin also went downstairs and got a small tub of liang fen (cold jelly-like starch powder), made with thin slices of cucumber and a special hot seasoning. Eating this was able to cool us down, during and after eating the pepper crawfish.

The food at Xia Qu was affordable for us; one steamer of crawfish was about 50 yuan, which was shared amongst the three of us. In Shanghai, that's a very reasonable price, but for Americans, that's a better deal because it's only about 7 dollars.

Overall, this was a great restaurant, and you can pretty much choose any flavor to your liking and any portion you want.
Crawfish in pepper seasoning
Tin of crawfish in pepper seasoning
Liang Fen, or cold rice powder, wi…
Liang Fen with Cucumber slices
spicyricecake says:
Thanks Ivy! I'm usually willing to try anything once, and this turned out great! Yep, Liang Fen's fairly easy to make, little work on your part, but you do have to refrigerate for a while
Posted on: May 22, 2012
ivy says:
I do love your retaurant reviews. They're mouthwatering! I would love to make that lian fen dish at home, but substitute the jelly bits with rice noodles. Not the same, but also good and .... easier/faster.
Posted on: May 01, 2012