XiTang - Water Town

Zhejiang, China

XiTang - Water Town Reviews

Susan_Xu Susan_Xu
Pick your day to visit May 01, 2010
I recently decided to see what XiTang (Water Town) was all about as i had seen a lot on the net about it. Not originally from JiaXing, ZheJiang (45 minutes from Shanghai by train) but from a small village in Hubei, I took the 152 bus from JiaXing North Bus Station for the almost 1 hour trip. The cost each way was 6 Yuan. Once there and not sure where to go, I took the offer of a pedi-cab tricycle driver and he was going to get me inside the town for 30 Yuan instead of the usual 50 Yuan I had seen on the net, plus his 5 yuan fare.

It sounded good to me and we set off on the 5 to 10 minute ride where he took me down some small alleys and eventually deposited me inside of the town. I only had an hour or so to look around as it was a week day and I was really just killing time before I had to be home. The problem for me was that I had not noticed until I was leaving that they only charge an entrance fee on the weekend and national holidays, and this was a normal Wednesday. I had been cheated by the pedi-cab driver.

A few weeks later I decided to go back on a weekend and take husband and daughter so we could have a good look around and after paying the 50 Yuan each husband (an australian) was very annoyed at the cost as he said it was just like so many other places around China that capitalize on the age and history to get you inside, but once there you just see street after street all selling the same dresses and things and if you wish to visit any of the displays inside, you must pay to gain entry to each of them.

We wandered around for a few hours, he took some photos and I annoyed him by looking at every other dress shop. Overall he was right and unless you are looking at wasting time, fighting your way through the crown of tourist and generally want to waste money, then it is best to plan your visit for a weekday when you can see it all and gain entrance for free.
Zhejiang Map