Xcaret Mexican Restaurant

(419) 443-9898

Xcaret Mexican Restaurant Tiffin Reviews

PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
Aug 17, 2007
If you want Mexican food, and you’re in Tiffin, turn right out of the mall, find Route 53, head 25 minutes directly to Upper Sandusky, and go to Los Arcos.

While I found some very positive reviews of XCaret, I’m writing about my personal experience. This is one of the few places I’m writing about in Tiffin that’s a dinner review (not lunch)

The staff seemed annoyed at us from the second we walked in the door. We were sat hastily. It took almost 10 minutes to get our drinks and menus. Menus were very dirty with sticky salsa and other food. My margarita was more watery than I like.

Food was better than Chi-Chi’s and Taco Bell, but it was average at best. I found my dish (I can’t even remember what I had, it was that memorable) to be bland. My tortilla was rubbery. Mom, Dad, and Dan found their meals to be the same.

While we ate, the staff stood close to the table and stared at us, which was uncomfortable. Their English was very limited, so they did not approach to ask us about our meal or needs, they simply stood and watched us eat.

Our table was dirty, the carpet was dirty, and the bathrooms were in great need of attention. The restaurant was very oddly and unusually dark (not just atmosphere-mood dark, like, don’t want to turn the lights on, or we’re not here so go-away dark) which made it almost impossible to read the menus. Prices were more than Los Arcos (around $10 a meal) for what I felt to be sub-standard food.

I will not be back. With one of the best Mexican restaurants right here in my town, I just do not see the need to eat here. There is MUCH better places to eat in Tiffin. If you love Mexican, give it a try for yourself. I believe you should never completely miss out on anything because of someone else’s opinion, but don’t make it your only food stop in Tiffin.
JunkerWoland says:
I'm surprised at the reception you received from XCaret, and if it were me I would have given it a bad review as well. However, I've been there a couple of times and haven't had any of those same problems. I recommend that you revisit the restaurant at a busier time, if that makes sense. My fiance and I always order the same thing (Chicken enchaladas) and, even on a terribly busy night they always have it out in about ten minutes. It seems like they hit their stride more easily when there are more customers.
Also, you mentioned a better mexican restaurant in town. Where is it? I haven't been in town for very long and would love to try another place.
Posted on: Mar 16, 2008