X-Tra Hotel Zurich

Limmatstrasse 118, Zurich, Switzerland

X-Tra Hotel Zurich Rates and Deals

X-Tra Hotel Zurich Reviews

euro_wknds euro_wkn…
Quiet but great central location close to Sihlquai bus depot and city centre May 10, 2011
Great hotel to stay at for central location. Also clean and spacious rooms. Staff are really helpful and friendly. Enough of an atmosphere at night to enjoy the social side of things, but quiet enough for a good night's sleep. Simple but tasty breakfast spread. Easy to get to (I travelled alone, landed after 23:30 and still got there okay by myself just using public transport - airport shuttle waaayyyy too expensive!) Overall a very happy stay :)
Chokk Chokk
Looked like a school from the 60s and had a free Goth rock concert Nov 17, 2010
I was just back from Saint Petersburg the same afternoon and I had just managed to get home and change to another bag for my new trip to Switzerland and here I was going to spend the following day in Basel at a fair and conference.

I was flying to Zurich because I could not get a direct flight to Basel and landed around 10 pm in the evening in a quite empty airport. I had already decided that I was too late for a drive to Basel and I would probably first have been at the hotel around midnight. I had therefore booked a room in outer Zürich so I could get early to bed and head for the conference.

The X tra Hotel was a hotel situated in Limmatstrasse and the area looked like any other Swiss housing area. The GPS took me there in only 20 minutes and I found out that there was no parking at the hotel, but it was possible to park outside on the street quite close to it. The parking was quite pricy and I was amazed that I had to pay also during the night.

When I arrived loads of young people in Goth costumes were coming out of the back of the hotel that was a concert hall; I was happy that the concert apparently was terminated and went in to check in.

The hotel didn’t remind me of a hotel but more like a school built in the 60s or 70s. Behind the counter a young guy greeted me and quickly gave me my room on the third floor. They didn’t have free WiFi but I could buy a phone card from one of the Swiss phone operators; it was quite pricy so I settled with a 3 hour card that would be more than enough. The elevator was small and there was only one and coming up to the 3rd floor didn’t change my view of the school look.

I entered my room that turned out to be pretty large with a little desk in the corner to work at and a double bed but the kind I hate; two single beds just pushed together. There was an old TV hanging on the wall and the room had windows in all the length of it with a view down to the street full of Goth dressed people. The room was pretty cold, like no one had been there for weeks; my best guess was that there were 16-17 degrees. I quickly turned on the radiators and went into the bathroom that was of a nice size but reminded me of a hospital with small grey tiles.

The music from the concert had not stopped but I was certain that they were on the extra numbers because nothing happens late in Switzerland. The bass from the concert went straight trough the wall and was quite loud in my room. I decided to go down and get something to eat and get some heat in the room in the mean while; and I hoped that the concert had stopped at the time upon my return.

I was back an hour later; the music was still pounding and the room was only a bit warmer. I therefore decided to just go to bed since it was past midnight anyway. It turned out the concert was a marathon concert that first ended at 4 am where I finally fell asleep.

Next morning I was still tired as hell and wanted to have breakfast before I left for Basel. The breakfast was just two large tables placed in the corner of restaurant that was situated next to the music venue. The breakfast was nothing special and I still felt I was back in a school. I smiled to a young couple that were the only other guests and we had clearly had a similar night with no sleep.
The hall to my room
My hotel room
The room and the bed
The little desk in the corner unde…

X-Tra Hotel Zurich Overview

After the recent renovations, the X-Tra Zurich became a part of an entertainment complex which includes an indoor discotheque. The main shopping center of the city of Zurich is located 15 minutes away from this Zurich hotel. The main station of Zurich is only a kilometer from the X Tra Hotel Zurich, while the airport is ten kilometers away.

There are 49 guestrooms in the X-Tra Hotel Zurich, all of which are decorated in a variety of bright primary colors and accented with contemporary paintings. The guestrooms are all outfitted with modern amenities to help ensure guests have a comfortable stay.

The 3 star X Tra The Hotel Zurich was originally erected in 1935 as a convention center. The hotel was created in the Bauhaus style and features a boxy-looking façade. The on-site restaurant serves delicious a la carte cuisine for guests to enjoy, and the bar provides an ideal setting for relaxing with a drink at the end of the day. There’s also a gymnasium on site, and conference facilities to assist business travelers.

X-Tra Hotel Amenities