Wushanyi International Youth Hostel

Check Hangzhou Hotel Deals

Wushanyi International Youth Hostel Hangzhou Reviews

keyoungs keyoungs
Aug 22, 2010
This hostel was located a little farther away from the center of the city than I would have preferred. It was cheap, though, so if you want to save money than it might be a good option. The hostel had an interesting setup. The common room was blazingly hot while I was there because they would turn the AC off during the day. I understand the need to save energy, but the heat was awful. Another part of the common room had a big TV with a pool table and some computers. It had kind of a dank basement feel to it, which was a little different. The family and their dog lived there also, and the kids were always watching TV. The rooms were pretty tight on space, but that never really bothers me as I'm not in the room very much. The showers, however, smelled absolutely awful. There were a lot of mosquitos in them, too. They had a washer and dryer to use for a fee. I did not come across too many dryers while over there, so this was nice if you needed to do laundry in a hurry. The staff were also nice and wrote down the address of an english speaking doctor that I could show to a taxi driver. This was appreciated. Overall, I would choose a different place to stay. I think that the negatives outweighed the positives.
domnicella domnicel…
Negligible Service; Entirely Too Loud Hostel Oct 29, 2009
For starters, Wushanyi is nowhere near the West Lake, and is hidden up some obscure (unmarked) dirt alley. If you're like me, you see that it isn't actually on the lake, and take this to be a good thing; you figure you'll be out of the bustle and the touristy areas. WRONG. This is NOWHERE NEAR anywhere you want to be, it is far, inconvenient, poorly marked, and an absolute nightmare to find. No fewer than a dozen locals had never heard of the street (alley) name, and I had the address written in Mandarin characters. Hostels on the lake are where you want to be.

Secondly, what isn't advertised is that this hostel caters to Chinese tourists. If you aren't a Chinese national, you will not be catered to. Forget special treatment, you won't be acknowledged. Period. I stood at the front desk REPEATEDLY waiting for someone to help me (with simple, straightforward matters), a desk that is manned by no fewer than three people, and was ignored at length every time. Also, because it is 99% native Chinese guests, the hostel is unbearably loud, with the constant screaming and spitting and the taunting of the dog that is tethered by the door. Roommates are a nightmare, because there is no concept of consideration or quiet, and doors are slammed, conversations screamed, things dropped at all hours.

Would not recommend this hostel to anyone. Hated it. Do yourself a favor and stay at Mingtown on the lake. (I would have, but they were booked solid.) Everyone raves, supposed to be fantastic.
Julie_Stedman says:
Hostel has moved location. Great location and clean hostel.
Posted on: May 04, 2012