Woodland Park Zoo

601 N. 59th Street, Seattle, WA, USA

Woodland Park Zoo Seattle Reviews

stefaniegreen stefanie…
Woodland Park Zoo Sep 21, 2016
I love going to the zoo wherever I might be and looking at all the animals. They actually did not have any elephants since they had just moved them to the one in Oklahoma. I had missed the giraffe feeding unfortunately only because I was not keeping track of time. It was really easy to navigate and the food court was real good just not much options. I do recommend that you go especially if you are an animal lover like I am. There was also an old school house in one of the areas to see how people learned along time ago it also had a couple of houses as well. When you pay they give you a coin to put in a box that will help with saving certain animals that are getting close to extinction or on the endangered list.
Kylana Kylana
Fun place for a day trip for all ages Sep 06, 2011
I think my favorite part was the penguins, one kept swimming up to me and jumping. So cute, however the rest of the zoo is pretty awesome as well.

They had a Dino exhibit when we went which was interesting. Food is pretty good and inexpensive but if you get a drink don't expect a lid, they do have vending machines so you can get a drink with a cap that way.

A little pricey but if you plan ahead sometimes you can get a deal to make it a 2 for 1 day which is what we did.
aelder2259 aelder22…
A great place to visit...and to volunteer Jun 28, 2008
I like to go to Woodland Park Zoo to get some exercise. I also like to take my camera and get some pictures. After doing this a few years, I decided to start volunteering my time to help at the zoo. The zoo relies heavily on volunteers. In exchange for your time, you get to enter for free any time it's open. You also get some free passes each year and you can always bring family and friends for half price.

By working at the zoo, I got to learn the names of most of the animals, making me want to help protect them even more. Woodland Park Zoo's focus is on conservation and education, so you'll see many volunteers (docents) around the zoo talking about the various animals.

My favorites are the gorillas. One troop is led by Pete and Nina, both wild born and 40 years old. Nina reminds me of a grandmother from the south...resting her chin on her "cane" with her tongue hanging out. Pete likes to gross people out by eating his feces, but it's a quite natural action in the wild.

The orangutans are usually my next visit. I adore Towan and Melati. Towan likes to paint and some of his work has been sound on eBay. Melati is missing some fingers from an accident and is usually the most visible of the orangutans.

There was a fuss a few years ago about the Masai that worked at the zoo. People (who hadn't bothered to talk to them) made a ruckus and claimed it was like putting them on display with the animals. I got to talk to the Masai many times and they never felt this way. They wore uniforms just like other zoo employees. They gave very education talks about their country and culture. The stress of the negative publicity was enough to make them not come back the next year (with the exception of Wakuto (not sure of spelling), who returns every year. It's too bad unhappy people feel the need to ruin things for everyone because the zoo was considering having a similar interpretation set-up in the "Thai village" near the elephants.

Features worth noting:

1. Opening in 2009 is the new penguin pool.

2. A zoomasium for kids to blow off some steam.

3. A carousel.

4. Giraffe feeding (their long, black tongues are very dexterous).

5. Willawong station, where you can feed the various birds.
Africancrab says:
Awesome write up and interesting animals
Posted on: Mar 09, 2009
ErinPatty ErinPatty
A Great Zoo for the Family Jul 13, 2008
I love animals. I enjoy being outdoors. One of my favorite things to do is to visit the zoo. So one of the first things I did once I moved to Seattle was to check out the local zoo (Woodland Park Zoo). The only cost you really have to worry about is that of the entrance fee which is posted on their website. The cost changes depending on the season. If you plan on eating at the zoo you will need some extra money for that. The food prices were pretty reasonable.

The first thing that struck me about this zoo was how open it was. I found that the animal habitats were quite spacious and kept up very well. The grizzly bear area was most impressive and I could have stood there for hours watching the two bears walk around and fish. It seemed as though they had plenty of room to run around in.

The zoo also is great at educating the visitors. There is something for everyone. We walked past a group of kids who were getting a talk on giraffes and feeding. There was also an announcement for an African Safari that took people to different areas in the African area and educated them on different animals and their habitats. Another exhibit we saw travelled around the zoo; two handlers traveled around to different areas with two ferrets and answered questions on what type of animals they were and explained their curious nature. I left the zoo more educated than when I entered.

The zoo is very family friendly and there are tons of grassy areas where visitors can sit and take a short break while watching the animals. There is a small food court and I discovered that it is better to get there at an odd time because once lunch rolls around seating is hard to come by. Overall, I think the zoo is a great place for a family to visit!
A Grizzly Bear at Woodland Park Zoo
An African Safari Anyone?
I see a wolf!
Adrian_Liston Adrian_L…
Aug 08, 2007
Woodland Park Zoo, near Greenlake in Seattle, has been open since 1899 and since then has won more Best National Exhibit awards than any other zoo in the US, except Bronx Zoo in New York. Woodland Park Zoo has lead the world in providing full immersion exhibits, where the enclosure is built with the primary aim of providing habitat for the animals, with viewing built in so as to not disturb the animal's welfare. The gorilla enclosure was the world's first immersion exhibit and still a fantastic example of the best a zoo can be, allowing the gorilla family to lead normal social lives. The tropical rain forest exhibit, African Savanna and Northern Trail exhibits are also exceptional.

Adults $10.50, children 7:50