Wombats The Base Hostel Vienna

Wombats The Base Hostel Vienna Rates and Deals

Wombats The Base Hostel Vienna Reviews

nimic nimic
Best Place to Stay in Vienna Jun 16, 2011
Looking for a place to stay in Vienna? then try the Wombats Hostel. They have a few there. "The Lounge" and "The Base". I was fortunate enough to stay at "The Base". They have everything there, A Bar, Laundromats, Internet Terminals, Free WLAN, free luggage storage and breakfast (well an all you can eat breakfast for 3.50 Euro)

The Reception staffs there are very nice. One of them introduced to me Mariahilferbräu, the restaurant which i reviewed earlier. Just them anything and they'll be glad to help you. The rooms are decent. The ones i took was a 4 bed Private dorm, for 12 Euro/ night. Yeah, you heard that only 12 Euro.

We even got a free drinks that night. You can either choose for a beer, juice or a coffee. The location of Wombats isn't that bad, even though you gotta walk a bit. "The Lounge" is nearer to the train station.

Too bad i didn't have any photos of the hostel to share with you guys.
nimic says:
Haha, I will Astrid!! ^^
Posted on: Jun 16, 2011
Haydenerg says:
then Next time, You need to take pic of them ;-)
Posted on: Jun 16, 2011
laurensteer laurenst…
Fun hostel with friendly staff Apr 23, 2011

- Friendly staff (spoke English well and helpful)

- Lockers (get given the key with room key)

- Roomy dorms

- Ensuite (so only had to share with the 6!)

- Clean

- Free wifi on the ground floor

- A little more of a trek from the station and main sights (don't get confused with The Lounge which you pass on your way to The Base!)

- Breakfast was extra and expensive for what it was

I had a dorm for 6 and ended up with 5 guys and me! There wasn't too much noise as the room faced onto the bar terrace. I would definately recommend this to anyone visiting Vienna!
The dorm
Lockers (big!)
It's the blue one, you can't miss …
nightsky nightsky
Good value, clean, but a bit off the city center Mar 15, 2011
The cleanest hostel I have stayed at. And my shared room had locker and toilet on the room. The staff is very friendly.

The last day I stayed it was some anniversary and we got free drinks and barbeque! The bar has generally also good prices.

The only bad thing is that it is situated a bit away from the city center, but there is a metro some blocks from the hostel.
wombat's, hostel
gnealii gnealii
Wombat's Hostel Vienna Apr 24, 2011
Large hostel in a great location, walking distance to most sites...Because it's a large hostel, the service can seem impersonal, but it is clean, with lots of amenities, and lots of opportunities to meet other travelers.
ashumard ashumard
Great hostel Apr 04, 2011
I would say overall it is a great hostel. The staff is great and very friendly and super accomodating. The only negatives would be the location (about 15 min metro ride from the city's center) and the internet didn't seem to work too well or too quickly.
mazi mazi
Great Modern Hostel Feb 11, 2011
Stayed here for 1 night with my friend and was very pleased! it's the cleanest, funkiest hostel I have stayed in and would highly recommend it to anyone! Great bar aswell with pool table etc!
WalterC WalterC
Great place to stay at Oct 14, 2010
Quite a walk from the train station and the nearest U-Bahn station, the Wombats Hostel can be difficult to find. Adding to the problem, is that there are 2 Wombats Hostels in Vienna, in the same area. So you have to double check that you found the right one, when walking to it, which can be tough, especially if you just arrived into town, and trying to find your way around.

One of the Wombats is called The Lounge, while the other one is called The Base. The Lounge is much closer to the train station, but cost a little more. This review will focus more on The Base, which was the one I stayed at. The Base will save you a few euros, which to me, can be a big difference to me.

Being further away can also be a problem, for those after a day of sightseeing, and having sore feet. While the tram can help you get there halfway from the U-Bahn station, you will still have to walk down one quiet street for about a few blocks until you hit the end. Luckily, there is a sign outside, showing you where the hostel is. The nearest restaurant or grocery store is on the busy street, about a few blocks away.

Entering the hostel, definitely gives the vibe of a party hostel, and it probably is, with the bar there. But it was not really a problem for me, and I’m not a party person. The staff are really nice and sometimes, fun to talk to. And very helpful, whenever you need information on train schedules or sightseeing questions. Reception is open 24 hours.

The rooms are very nice and clean, with each one having their own bathroom. And being away from the busy street, it was not nearly as noisy as I thought it would be. There are lockers in the room, with a key for it, at no extra charge, and no need to being your own lock.

The kitchen is on the same floor as the bar, with tables nearby to eat or just sit and do whatever. Plus that is where all-you-can-eat breakfast is served, which is nice, but cost EUR 3.50. When checking in, you receive a coupon for a free beer.

There are a few computers for internet access near the staff desk, and a few more in the bar. But they are not free.

Overall, this is a very nice place to stay at, with the distance from the station being the only issue.
Wombat's The Base entrance
bunk beds in room
bunk beds in room, and the glimpse…
nightsky nightsky
Aug 12, 2009
Very good value

Cheap but nice staff and easy to make new friends
irishsteve irishste…
Jan 19, 2008
I stayed in 'The Base' last august while touring europe and it was by far the best place I stayed. Great if you want to meet people have a drink and a party. I would not recommend it to any one looking for a quiet stay but it is brilliant when the drink promotions start to kick in. There are people I partied with there that I now call friends even if they are on the far side of the world.
numbilin numbilin
Jan 01, 2008
I found this place so nice everyone was really friendly and when i got a little upset the barman made me a cup of tea and was really sweet :) the building itself is clean tidy fresh and just very welcoming. Its got a nice outside seating area where you can get chatting to everyone and its situated about 5 minutes from the underground, tucked away down a little side street off the main highstreet
Devika1985 Devika19…
Nov 25, 2007
During my trip to Vienna in November of 2007 me and my friends stayed at Wombat's hostel The Base. I can recommend this place to everyone since we had a great time there. We only paid 17 euro's a night to stay in a girl's dormitory room. The room was very nice, clean and had enough space. The beds were comfortable and the room had little lockers for ur personal items. The adjoining bathroom was very nice and clean and the hostel is just a great option of you're staying for a short time and need a cheap place to stay. The staff at the hostel was very friendly and helpfull and we met the nicest people there. The hostel has a nice bar where they serve some small dishes and we spent our saturdayevening at the bar where we had a great time! For breakfast you can buy a ticket at the reception for 3.50 (euro's) and with that ticket you can have breakfast in a room behind the wombar. The breakfast was very well arranged with bread, fruits, just the basic stuff but it was just very well arranged it has everything u need. Its not very close to the city but once u have found your way to the nearest metro station u will see that its all very easy. Its openend 24hrs and there is always someone at the reception to help u out. I liked this place a lot!
Wombats The Base
rudegurl rudegurl
Aug 23, 2007
if you need a cool place to stay in vienna check out the wombat vienna "the base". its a little off the beaten track but its nice if you dont want to be in the middle of town.even though you'Re still really close. there is a really cool little bar on the lobby floor. and you even get a free drink when you check in. they provide you with a set of sheets which you put yourself. but hey at least you know they're clean. lol. they have computers with coin machine internet. showers in the rooms are sparkling clean. and beds are also very coomfortable.
lovely_lori88 lovely_l…
Jun 18, 2007
In Vienna there is two Wombats hostels. The first is "the Lounge" which is fairly close to the train station and the second one is "the base" which is about 5 minutes further. We were staying at the base which I think is the better one anyways hehe. And I'm not being biased as we did go to the other one to visit people. The hostel was soo clean and all the staff were really friendly. They have pretty much everything you could want at a hostel. There is a bar where there is awesome drink specials and happy hour as well you can order food. You also get a free drink when you check in as a welcome! There is also pool tables and games you can rent. As well there is an outide terrace which is a really nice place to relax when it's hot out. There is breakfast in the morning, internet, luggage storage, laundry, and a kitchen. We were staying in a 6 bed dorm. We had a ensuite bathroom with a really good shower and there were lockers for everyone. The hostel isn't very far from the train station but it is fairly far from all the sites and the centre of the city but its only a short ride on the metro. I totally recommned anyone going to Vienna to stay in one of the Wombats hostels.
coolguy coolguy
Jul 07, 2006
Wombat's, this is the place where the cool kids hang out. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing hostel, give this place a skip! However, if you enjoy strangers making out in your room or don't need a half-decent night's sleep while travelling, this might be the place for you. This place seems to have a constant stream of backpacker tours (Contiki, et al.) coming through, which makes it very busy. Our check-in took all afternooon despite their constant reassurances that it would only take another 10 minutes. We also arrived on bikes and were disappointed to find there was no bike storage (the door marked bike storage was actually used to store bedsheets). We had to leave our bikes on the city bike stands and we later discovered someone had tried to cut through our locks.On our second visit to Vienna we were extremely frustrated when we arrived late at night, after a full day on the train, to find out that our reserved room at Wombat's had been given away. This is despite the fact that we warned the hostel of our late arrival when we made the reservation. On the plus side, the facilities were nice enough and there was plenty of local information available there. It is also located very close (3-4 minute walk) to the Westbahnhof metro/train station.The Wombat's staff tried to make up for their mistakes by booking another hostel for us (it was the least they could do after giving away our reserved room) and plying us with free drink coupons. Luckily we ended up staying in a better hostel (Hostelling International) elsewhere in the city.

Wombats The Base Hostel Amenities