Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro

474 Main Street, Highlands, NC, USA
Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro - Bar area at Wolfgang's - snapping this photo I noticed the couple standing at the end of the bar, whom I had chatted with last night at the Ugly Dog.
Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro - Wolfgang’s Restaurant & Wine Bistro
Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro - My absolutely terrific Cajun Shrimp entree!
Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro - My French Onion Soup - don't stop for photography and eat fast!
Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro - My dining room behind the main area in a separate building

Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro Highlands Reviews

vances vances
a few reservations Nov 29, 2014
Highlands is chock full of nicer restaurants, though I am not such an elegant fellow. Still, a spot of elegance is very nice now and again, and Wolfgang’s charming exterior struck me my first morning of trudging about town. Fear of a dress code more formal than what I had packed led to its dismissal (it is directly across the street from Old Edward’s), but due to the magical winds of TravBuddy fate I would discover myself enjoying a final meal here.

Under the guidance of Wolfgang Green, a former Executive Chef, his namesake has garnered numerous accolades. Perhaps you noticed this is also a wine bistro? Well, Wolfgang’s cellar has earned “Best of Excellence” for the last eleven years from Wine Spectator magazine. I was excited to finish my Highlands dining at a place earning such lofty praise and things began wonderfully. Talking with the hostess I spotted a couple I had chatted with last night at the Ugly Dog. They came over and we gabbed for a minute until I was whisked away to my table.

First surprise was how big Wolfgang’s is. The hostess walked me through the main dining room, down a hallway, down a few steps and into another lovely dining area. Then the bubble burst yet again due to spotty service. Sat there blinking my eyes for five minutes (seriously) before someone came to offer me a glass of water. Fortunately my annoyed “no” in response to her query whether I had been waited upon led to prompt corrective action.

Wolfgang’s menu is fantastic. With regret for all the super looking dishes I would be unable to order in one sitting, I settled on French Onion Soup and the Cajun Shrimp. The soup was good, though not outstanding and my formerly tardy waiter returned when I was only halfway through. He actually began grasping for the bowl as he asked “may I remove this,” receiving a harsh negative.

But seriously, all was forgiven when the entrée appeared. The shrimp was indescribably delicious and wonderfully nestled on a bed of grits and collard greens. I’ve lived in the south long enough to grow weary of both, but these were prepared so amazingly that they were sumptuous on their own, not to mention how brilliantly they complemented the perfectly spiced shrimp!

The main course was so awesome it is hard to be disappointed by the service, which truthfully seemed about par for Highlands. Though not terrible, your expectations are high at such an elegant spot and that was the missing link to five stars. Perhaps I was unlucky and my experience atypical, but even if it was I recommend Wolfgang’s for a GREAT meal!
Wolfgang’s Restaurant & Wine Bis…
Bar area at Wolfgang's - snapping …
My dining room behind the main are…
My French Onion Soup - don't stop …

Check Highlands Hotel Deals