Winter Island Camping

Vernadsky Station, Antarctica

Winter Island Camping Vernadsky Station Reviews

DaveSwede DaveSwede
Camping on the Ice of Antarctica Feb 25, 2014
The laws of tourism in Antarctica forbid food and drink in the island, and to many people’s discomfort, are also strict about toilet use. So we had to eat dinner knowing no bathroom call for the next 14 hours. Almost everyone made camp down in the flat near the old hut, but a few of us spread out along the hill. I chose to make camp at the furthest point using a rock outcropping as a possible wind stop (@ 65°15'0.65"S ; 64°15'20.74"W). After digging in and laying my bed in the snow (no tent, only bag), I walked around and saw the glaciers and mountains in the fading 11pm light. It started with about 15 knot winds, light snow and temperatures about -2C/28F, which would have been perfect, keeping things frozen and therefore dry. Unfortunately about 2am, temperatures climbed two ticks and freezing rain set it. Combine that with increasing winds to 30 knots and most people were very eager to break camp early. I remained warm and dry all night, although not well rested. But very quickly after getting out of my bag, getting dressed and nearly having our zodiac swamped on the way back, was completely soaked and chilled. But I now have a certificate that says I was “unbalanced enough to camp in Antarctica when a warm bed was the alternative”.

Unique qualities ... meaning no heat, no electricity, no television, no internet, no laundry, no toilet...

But you have the fresh air of the south, the lapping sound of the waves, the whistle of the wind and the knowledge that you're among the privileged.
Sleeping on the Snow
Camp Views at 3am
Toonsarah says:
Wow, what an experience to have had!! And who needs sleep?!
Posted on: Aug 29, 2017
aloneinthecrowd says:
Congrats on your featured review. It sounds like an amazing experience :)
Posted on: Aug 28, 2017
HORSCHECK says:
Dave, congrats on your featured review. Well deserved. :-)
Posted on: Aug 28, 2017