William Gyles Guesthouse

Check Newport Hotel Deals

William Gyles Guesthouse Newport Reviews

diisha392 diisha392
Jul 09, 2007
I had never stayed in a hostel before but my two nights here have made me eager to plan my next trip with a hostel visit. Six to seven guests can stay here at a time although the owner Merrilee has additional rooms at a location called the Annex. The rooms are dormitory style except for the Cave where I actually stayed. This room doubles as the TV area when not needed for a guest. Otherwise it's a private room with its own sink and fireplace. (A note on the Cave: I really liked this room but I had to duck every time I went downstairs to it and I'm just over 5'. Once inside the ceiling was higher although I could still reach up and touch it.)

Free breakfast is provided (very basic) and reduced tickets to the mansions are also available (if you only want to see one or two of these "cottages" her deal is really good). Its location just off Thames St. puts many small shops and eateries within walking distance. Although Newport is small enough to walk anywhere (as long as you're willing to put in some distance; I definitely walked at least 6 miles a day), bikes can be rented for a low price. If you drive to the hostel like I did, free street parking is available several blocks away.

I really enjoyed the international flavor of the guests; one night's conversation was held in English, Italian, German, and Spanish. The friendliness of everyone was wonderful. Merrilee exhibited the same welcoming attitude as the guests. She was very helpful at answering questions and giving recommendations. Also, she tries to take groups on night walks of Newport, so if you stay for multiple nights, you should receive an invitation for this tour about the history and sights of the town.
looking up Howard St at the Guesth…
to go down to my room
The Cave (sofa folds out)

Check Newport Hotel Deals