Whoa, MOMA…it’s SAMA! (San Antonio Museum of Art)

200 West Jones Avenue, San Antonio, TX, USA
www.samuseum.org - 210-978-8100

Whoa, MOMA…it’s SAMA! (San Antonio Museum of Art) Reviews

vances vances
Whoa MOMA, it's SAMA! Sep 07, 2012
The clock is ticking on our time in Texas, so we squeezed in a quick weekend trip to San Antonio as Eric (#2 stepson) had never been to the Alamo! But having heard that there was a Botero exhibit at SAMA, the San Antonio Museum of Art, we expanded our itinerary a bit.

About a mile from downtown, SAMA occupies a building that sits on the San Antonio River and was originally a brewery for Lone Star Beer. There are four stories featuring a solid collection of ancient art (Greek, Roman and Egyptian were the best represented), Asian art, European Art, Middle Eastern, Oceanic and Latin American Art. As you might suspect from San Antonio's deep south location, the Latin American art collection is superb.

We found SAMA weaker on the Modern and Contemporary front – despite some excellent pieces, there wasn’t a broad representation. Most of the second floor was closed for renovation, however, and the limited number of pieces on display may have been due to a temporary lack of square footage?

The Botero exhibition was fantastic. Kim & I had been to Chicago in the early 1990’s to enjoy his sculptures, but the display at SAMA featured Fernando’s paintings, which were splendid and often overlooked. Although you obviously missed this exhibit, the high caliber suggests future showings will be equally dazzling. The neighborhood which the museum sits in is a bit grubby, but perfectly safe, and you can even see a hawk’s nest in the trees out back from the fourth floor! Peeking outside the windows on each floor usually led to some interesting vistas as they have made an effort to keep the exterior delightfully hip.

In fact, there are a few outdoor areas to walk about, easy to enjoy and duck back inside when San Antone's torrid temps become unbearable. Recommended!
Here we are. Shall we enter???
When we were here, Botero was the …
...and Botero really leant a hand …
Fun view outside the third floor w…
esterrene esterrene
So in love with this museum! Feb 13, 2010
I love love love this museum!!!

The San Antonio Museum of Art (SAMA) is located in a renovated 19th century brewery building along the famous and well loved river walk!

I spent over 4 hours walking through the galleries and feel that I could have easily spent 4 more!! My favorite collections were those of the Oceanic peoples and the Latin American Folk Art. Both of which are not nearly common enough in most American Museum collections!!

The SAMA collection covers art from ancient Greece and Rome to Contemporary Latin American arts. Each gallery space is beautifully designed to enhance the art viewing experience.

The building has two sections of four levels each. I started at the top and worked my way down and then went to the other section and worked my way down again!

Cost of admission was very reasonable! I paid $8 for myself and it was worth every cent! The museum store was filled with interesting art books relating to the various art collections and fun educational items for children and educators..
travelfan1963 says:
Wow--I will have to try this the next time I'm in San Antonio.
Posted on: Feb 14, 2010